Tuesday 29 November 2022

Kumo Kumo - South Bank


Those who follow social media news will no doubt have seen the barrage of ads for Kumo Kumo, a pop up soufflé pancake that is gracing our city until January 2023. With all the hype, we met up with a friend and tried it out on its second day of opening when I just so happened to have a day off. Arriving just before opening time, there was a short line building up when I got there. It still took 20 minutes of waiting, but better than the long queue that formed after the official opening.


I was not able to find a priced menu online before coming, but I had expected it to be somewhat expensive. These expectations were fulfilled and the prices were close to $20 for each of the five flavours, the more extravagant ones were more expensive than the more plain.

 

Despite getting to the top of the queue, it still took around 10 minutes for our pancakes. At least it was really fun to watch staff make them while we waited.


There weren't too many tables available but we were able to find one as we arrived early. Cutlery and water was available on a DIY basis. 


Dr L opted for the brown sugar boba flavour. It was topped with milky foam, brown sugar dressing, and of course topped with pearls. Trying some of his, I was glad to see it wasn't overly sweet and the pearls were adequately chewy. I found the pancakes to be very strong in egg flavour and the texture reminded me a bit of a pan fried cake.


 

My Uji Matcha one was largely the same, the pancake wasn't very big but it was very heavy in egg flavour. The matcha was light and foamy and wasn't too sweet, whilst being sufficiently bitter. The red bean paste was quite sweet but there was only a small amount. Overall the flavours were pleasant but not outstanding. The portions were small though. For close to $20 as a snack, I would have thought we would at least have been afforded a share portion, but one serve was definitely not enough to share. Given its bad value for money, I am glad I satisfied my curiosity, but would be in no hurry to return.


Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 6.5/10
Value: 4/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 6/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment