Tuesday 21 March 2023

Mokkoji - Upper Mt Gravatt


Ever since I saw that Mokkoji opened last year, I've actually been really interested to try it out. Originally I had planned it for my birthday, but due to some issues with their communicating their booking deposit, I decided to hold it at Hachi instead. Anyway, I was still curious, so we decided to go back on a more quiet day for a casual dinner for two.


Despite their contentions with booking, it was fairly empty when we went and only filled up past half full in the evening. I did like the rustic wooden vibes though.

 

As with most BBQ places, they also served a la carte dishes, but that of course was not what we were here to try today. We were also unsure if ordering individual bbq dishes came with sides, so we opted for a set menu instead.


Drinks came fast, we only had one to share so we could drive home.


Our sides came next and this is the main reason why we came. With a generous 13 side dishes upon ordering a set menu, these were a sight to behold. Also noteworthy though, other than the kimchi, there were no free refills on any of the other dishes. What stood out the most for me was of course the gochujang marinated raw sand crab, which was somewhat difficult to eat but quite tasty. I also liked the kimchi raw octopus and the creamy steamed egg. There could have been a bit more lettuce though or a bowl of rice to go with the meat. The extra dish of shredded lettuce was also odd when there was already a large bowl of lettuce leaves.


We ordered a beef and pork set to share. The plating left a little to be desired, but the meat was fairly good quality and portions were generous. My favourites of the night would have been the crunchy pork jowl and the marinated beef. 


Overall, it was a moderately expensive dinner, but it would appear that KBBQs are all roughly the same price these days. Given the competition in Brisbane, Mokkoji is a solid contender and I would have no issues coming back, but despite the abundant sides, it doesn't stand out to me as particularly special, I'd have to say I still like Meet and Meat more for now.

Price Range: $50 - $60pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 8/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment