Tuesday 26 December 2023

Uncle Lais - Greenslopes


One of my final meals out for the year and I managed to finally tick off Uncle Lais from my list by way of a "start to holidays" lunch with Brisvegustation and family. Having heard of the queues and wait times associated with Uncle Lais, Brisvegustation kindly booked and ordered ahead of time.


In spite of its reputation, there were only a couple of tables occupied on the Friday lunchtime when we attended. 


Even though our lunch had been pre ordered, I still perused the menu for reference. The menu was fairly concise but covered essentially all you could want in Malaysian cuisine with a heavy focus on stir fried rice and noodles. Prices leaned towards the $20 mark which is a little bit expensive for what it is. Customers ordered and paid at the counter before the food orders were put through to the kitchen. 


Food came out relatively quickly, given the place wasn't particularly full. First to show up was the salted fish and chicken fried rice. It was a very photogenic dish of fried rice with an nice contrast to the colours, however when it came to toppings such as salted fish and chicken, it was a bit lacking as we couldn't really discern pieces of chicken or fish in our meal. The taste was fine though, as the rice was well seasoned with dark soy as well as carrots and onions and the portion was adequate.


Next up, my Teh Tarik arrived roughly at the same time as the Wat Tan Hor. The Teh Tarik was a lot sweeter and creamier than the likes of Pappa Roti which is my go to these days, I probably wouldn't get this again. As I had been craving Wat Tan Hor for a while now, this really hit the spot. However objectively speaking, the egg gravy was a bit lumpy and I would have liked a bit more noodles to go with the dish, the flavours were great though.


Our final dish was the signature Char Kway Teo which is what I came for. It came out fairly charred, the portion was a bit smaller than our other two dishes but it was tasty nonetheless. It could have had a bit more wok hei, but there was a fair amount of toppings to go with each bite and the spice profile was just right (in my opinion). While I wouldn't say that this is necessarily the best one I've had in Brisbane, it was definitely a solid effort and I wouldnt' mind coming back for this.


Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment