Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Franc Jnrs - Mermaid Beach


Pizza isn't what you would think I would make a trip down to the Gold Coast for, let alone plan an overnight trip. But we did exactly that for a chance to dine at Franc Jnrs at Nobby Beach. Last time we drove past it we saw the extensive queue and since then it's been on my mind, and hence we found ourselves one evening in Nobby Beach queueing for a table, even though I had made a booking beforehand (and paid a deposit for the table).


Other than it being very difficult for us to get a reservation, the booking sizes were also limited to 4 - 6 people, which meant we had to cull some from our original party of 9. I could see why the party sizes were limited though, the booth we got was fairly squishy for six and there weren't any larger tables.


For a pizza place, there was quite a significant amount of different types of pizzas on offer, with regular round pizzas as well as the deep dish detroit pizzas which we were definitely keen on.

 

Cocktails were well priced too. I had a whiskey apple whilst Dr L had a Margarita. They weren't particularly strong but fun and fruity.


First pizza to arrive was the Jalloppy Poppy. The base was fairly thin and the crust was also fairly fluffy with a good amount of char. Toppings were adequate but not the most generous I've seen. The spicy jalepenos went well with the pepperoni to make for a very spicy start to the meal. Although I liked the flavour combination, I couldn't say that the base was better than Julius or Chef Jon's in Brisbane. 


We ordered an 18 inch Pepperoni Pie with Stracciatella. This was an absolute sight to behold and we were only really only able to have one slice per person. I wouldn't recommend ordering this for smaller groups. Again the base was enjoyable but not the best I've ever had. The stracciatella went well with the pepperoni, this time adding a mild creamy balance to the spicy sausage. 


Readers may now know that I often enjoy a mushroom pizza. This was the Mr Musho Rising which came topped with a considerable amount of rocket. This was definitely one of the weaker itterations of mushroom pizza because it would seem that the grassy flavours of rocket don't go too well with the mellow umami of mushroom. I probably wouldn't order this on a return visit.


The highlight of our meal was undoubtedly the detroit pizzas. First to arrive was the Meatball and Pesto. It came in a rectangle shape comprising of four slices. It was deep dish style with a substantive but fluffy base that had crisped up well whilst cooking. I enjoyed how decadent it was with the chunky meatballs and intense herby pesto, making this my favourite pizza of the evening.


Our final pizza was the Orange Stripe. Much like the meatball and pesto, the flavours were intense, but this was with a super strong hit of cheese and chilli. I really loved the crust but missed the protein of the other pizza and would probably order it again but add some more meat to it.

All in all, we had a good time at Franc Jnr's. It was quite a hassle to go there and to get a table, but even though we went with sky high expectations, they definitely met them. It doesn't beat my favourites in Brisbane, but I would have no hesitation returning for another slice of detroit pizza.


Price Range: $35 - $45pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 8/10  

No comments:

Post a Comment