Sunday 5 May 2019

Sake - Brisbane CBD



Late dinner after watching Endgame with Adam. The movie lasted three hours and once you throw in half an hour of ads meant that we weren't out till 8.30pm. At such a late hour, I was quite pleased that he had made arrangements ahead of time and booked a table for us at Sake, along Eagle Street Pier. Having gone here several years ago, I was quite let down by the lunch I had, but was keen to try again and see if it had improved.


We loved the stylish venue, sitting under the sakura blossoms next to the sake kegs really reminded me of my trip to Kyoto last year. Despite the late hour, the venue was still quite full and it was extremely difficult to get service throughout our meal.

 


Menus were provided. I note the food options hadn't varied greatly since my last visit. The options were modern twists on old classics and some fairly fusion dishes. I tried as best as I could to stick with what I was familiar with.


Kicking off with a drink, I had the Tommy Strange Gin Bowl. Made with Poor Tom's Sydney Gin, strawberry, apple, juniper and elderflower tonic it was as fresh as it was fruity, a very joyful concoction to start our meal with.


First up was the spicy wagyu ramen which we were both surprised to find on their menu. The broth was definitely rich and creamy, it had a thick texture which clung to the noodles quite well, but wasn't too spicy, even by my standards. The noodles had bite to them but were difficult to separate and came out in a large bundle at the bottom of the bowl which we had to separate before eating. The wagyu was also minced and wasn't too generous in quantity, but was still rich and fatty. We only noted after reviewing the menu that the dish should have a truffle element, but we couldn't taste it.



Sticking with the classics, we also ordered a large nigiri platter and a spider maki for good measure. I found the spider maki to be very small for its price, consisting of only six pieces of relatively small sushi, barely larger than the small tuna rolls on the side. The crab was fairly crisp but wasn't overly generous in portion. Across the board, I found the sushi rice to be slightly undercooked. As for the fish, it was quite fresh but not overly thick cut.




As for dessert, in the spirit of Easter and Game of Thrones, we opted for the dragon egg. Comprising of milk chocolate, passionfruit cream, crunchy almond, then melted with hot miso caramel, it was quite theatrical in presentation. I only wish that the waitress had let us pour the caramel rather than hastily pouring it over and then rushing away. Despite the menu description of milk chocolate, the egg was definitely white chocolate, which was extremely sweet, coupled with the crunchy almond it was a very indulgent dessert for Adam.


Price Range: $50 - $70pp

Taste: 5/10
Value: 4/10
Service: 4/10
Environment: 7/10

Saké Restaurant & Bar Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment