Monday 20 April 2020

Agnes Bakery - Fortitude Valley


With the ongoing lockdown, new restaurant openings are few and far between. Previously anticipated opening of Agnes Restaurant by critically acclaimed chef Ben Williamson was delayed from its scheduled February launch and has instead pivoted to a pop up bakery instead. Constantly being drip fed pictures of their baked goods across all social media platforms, my curiosity finally got the better of me.


 

With its extreme popularity, I was given some valuable advice from friends to line up super early or risk missing out and a huge line. Determined, I set the alarm for 5AM and was second in line at 6.15AM for a 7AM opening. Thank goodness I lined up early though, because when I left the line was around the corner. The menu was made available on the day, I understand it changes daily so it was difficult to find one online. Prices were definitely steep for baked goods, even when considering competitor pricing. It was also a shame that there was no coffee nearby to keep us refreshed during the wait. Special mention to Iron Fist, the bestest friend ever to get up so early and stand in line with me and extra points for bringing coffee (making us the envy of all those in line).


Being second in line, it didn't take us too long to get in. I loved the array of baked goods and we definitely had a hard time making our choice.


Adding to our temptation was the newly baked goodies as they made their way past the counter to the shelf. 


With thanks to the patient staff, we eventually made our selection. They were carefully packed and we were on our way.





Getting home and enjoying them immediately, this was the Baghdad Eggs Pizzaette. With its delicious yoghurt, spicy herbs and runny egg yolk in the centre, it was my favourite of the whole haul. I really enjoyed the light fluffy pizza base and the complex herbal flavours of the pizza. Having said that, it was definitely pricey for what you get given it was considerably smaller than standard single serve pizzas.


This was the highly recommended Almond and Custard Kouign Amann. Originating from Brittany, France, and well known as the fattiest pastry in all of Europe, it was definitely decadent. Made from bread dough with layers of butter and sugar, it was flaky and crisp. I liked the comforting custard centre and it reminded me quite a lot of Portuguese Tarts.


Also trying another variation, this was the Freeze Dried Raspberry and Butter Cream Kouign Amann. The raspberry was nice and tangy whilst the butter cream added a light smooth texture to the pastry. A definite one to get again.


Also getting some doughnuts to go, this was the Cinnamon Sugar Doughnut and Lemon Curd and Strawberry Gum Doughnut. Super light and airy, I really enjoyed the bounce when I bit into it. Crisp without being oily, I liked the plain cinnamon one more. 


These were the choux pastries, I had both the Milk Chocolate Choux and Yuzu and Meringue Choux. Obviously the meringue suffered from the trip home, it was too tall for the box sadly. Compared to other choux I've had at places like Sonder, it wasn't as crisp, with the filling having absorbed some of the moisture from the filling. The chocolate one was also more delicate and complex than the yuzu one which was very light on flavour.


By recommendation of Iron Fist, I also got a Basque Cheesecake to go. It was curiously burnt on the top but this was merely the outer shell. Cutting into it reveals a decadent liquid cheesy centre. It was very creamy and rich. I really liked it but was definitely grateful to share it with three others before I overloaded on the self indulgence.

Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 5/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10

Agnes Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment