Wednesday 20 May 2020

Yat Tiu Rice Noodle Rolls - Sunnybank Hills


It takes a certain amount of courage to open a restaurant during a pandemic lockdown, and for that my interest was definitely piqued at the establishment of Yat Tiu Rice Noodle Rolls at Sunnybank Hills next to Ramen Danbo. Having grown up in a household whereby rice noodles were always a crowd favourite, I was very excited to see a store devoted to it. Going a week after their opening, I ordered ahead of time over the phone and my order was ready for pickup as I walked through the door.


Service was extremely friendly, when they noted that I came alone, they offered to help me carry some of the food to my car, a small touch but always appreciated.


Ordering four combos to go, this meant we had four bowls of congee and four rice noodle rolls. My other family members had the Lai Wan style seafood congee, which came with an ample amount of seafood but the congee base was a little bland and another family member had the beef and egg congee which was far better seasoned with a semi cooked egg in the middle, with a perfectly gelatinous yolk.


Always a sucker for classics, I had the Century Egg and Pork congee. I found toppings to be generous, there was definitely a good amount of century egg in the dish. The pork was not too salty but enough to allow the congee to have a good amount of flavour. As for the texture, it was fluffy with the rice being broken down into the water and very similar to what mum makes.


The highlight of the meal of course was the rice noodles. Other than myself, my family members all had the prawn and beef rice noodle rolls. They enjoyed the fresh prawns which were fairly large and halved to fit into the rice noodle, and the ample amount of beef.


Opting for something different, I had the bbq pork rice noodle roll, a favourite of mine. First of all, the rice noodle was exceptionally thin, probably the thinnest and most delicate I've had in Brisbane as can be seen through it's translucent skin. It soaked up the sweet soy sauce and the flavours of the bbq pork and green onions. I definitely wish that I could have had this in store rather than take away as the rice noodle would have been all the more softer if eaten fresh.


Getting some drinks to go too, special mention to the HK milk tea which was the best I've had in Brisbane to date. With a sweet fragrance and a strong body that isn't bitter, it definitely had enough caffeine to keep me going all afternoon. Will definitely be dining in soon after lockdown is over.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: N/A

Yat Tiu Rice Noodle Rolls 一條腸粉 Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment