Tuesday 27 June 2023

DeClub - Calamvale


"This is the best Bingsoo in Brisbane", I was told by a fellow foodie. Ever since hearing those words, I knew that I had to pay DeClub a visit. Although located right next to my gym, I have been trying to not "reward" myself with indulgences every time I work out, so it took a little planning to go with Dr L after a dinner nearby, for us to finally go there for an after dinner dessert.

 

We arrived to a nearly full cafe. I suppose that this would have been its peak business hours at roughly 8pm on a Saturday. We got one of the last seats and a menu. Desserts were decidedly Asian style with a focus on snow ice and sweet soy pudding as well as waffles. It didn't take much by way of deliberation as we were only here for one thing.


We ordered a single straw melon bingsoo to share. It took more than 40 minutes for us to receive our order, even after following up with staff, who brusquely replied "do you want a refund instead". Dr L had a lot less patience than I did and by the time it arrived, he was already very annoyed. When we asked for two sharing bowls so that we didn't have to lean in or have it drip over the table between us, staff declined. This essentially was the last straw for him, regardless of how good it tasted.


To be fair to DeClub though, it was actually the best bingsoo I had ever tasted. Given, I hadn't really had all that much before, but this was light, milky and had a generous amount of flavourings and toppings all the way throughout. At the bottom was an assortment of popping pearls, pearls and puffed rice kernels for texture. The strawberries were fresh and sweet and I liked the crisp watermelon too. It's a shame that service was so atrocious to the point where Dr L has stated that he will refuse to go there ever again, but one can only hope that they improve on this front.


Price Range: $10 - $20pp
 
Taste: 8/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 2/10
Environment: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment