Monday 29 January 2024

The Manjok - Eight Mile Plains


I was recently lucky enough to have a brief term of leave from work, it meant that I was able to spend a good amount of time at home, run errands as well as do things that I ordinarily would not have had time to do whilst maintaining the usual 9 to 5. One of these things is to hit up The Manjok, which I've wanted to go to since their opening last year. You might wonder why it took me this long if I was focused, however the restaurant itself is largely take out focused with only eight seats inside and no apparent way to make a booking. As such, we decided to go on a weekday night and try our luck and managed to get in without even waiting.


The menu was very short with less than ten main dishes and five sides. Most of the food could be easily taken away to be enjoyed at home, however we were here to dine in specifically for their whole fried chicken, which I had seen so many videos of on various cooking channels on youtube.


Although the restaurant was small, the decor was adorable with matching wooden tables, chairs and cutlery. The plates and cups were also very earthy and I really appreciated it. Kimchi was served fairly quickly and topped up as we ate.


Our food didn't take too long to arrive and presentation was definitely on point.


The whole fried chicken was as delicious as it looked and I was glad to have it fresh rather than taking it home (and risk it being steamed). The skin was extremely crispy without being oily and the meat didn't dry out either. The chicken was well marinated and well complimented by the pickled radish it was served with. I would definitely recommend this dish and come back for it.


We also had a share portion of the spicy beef rib stew, this came with two bowls of rice. We were also able to ask for it to be only a little spicy. I really enjoyed this dish, there was a very generous amount of beef rib that was more than enough to share between three and I liked the mellow sweet soy flavours to the stew. We had initially asked that they add some potato noodles to this dish but was informed that it already contained some, although this was true there really wasn't too much. Queen V did note the flavours got a bit boring by the end for her, but I definitely still really enjoyed it.


We also had a serve of deep fried seaweed rolls. Again it was crispy and not oily, however Queen V noted that these were more likely than not to be store bought. I found these fairly unremarkable and could have been better enjoyed with some sauce. 

Overall we had a really great time at the Manjok, I'll definitely be back again for some of the other dishes, perhaps when it is colder.

Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 6/10 (setting is nice but no air con in summer is brutal)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment