Friday 26 December 2014

Oishii Sushi Bar - Sunnybank Hills


When asked where is a good place to round off a tiring week, one of my most frequent answers is Oishii Sushi Bar at Sunnybank Hills.


Located on Pinelands Road, it is one of the most efficient sushi stores that I have attended, with food coming out within around 10 minutes of ordering. Usually, its super packed and really hard to get in without a reservation. Luckily for us it was a really rainy night, and we were able to quickly squeeze in without a reservation.


We shared a pot of hot green tea between the four of us, but we found it was a bit lacking in flavour compared to other Japanese restaurants. No matter, this was not the main attraction of our attendance.


The first to arrive for us was the large salmon sashimi. It was very fresh and yummy and I particularly enjoyed their salmon roe, although last time I had this, I remembered they put more effort into the presentation, with some sashimi being shaped like a rose. 


One of my sister's favourite dishes at Oishii is the Tuna Avocado Maki. She has to order it every time we go there. One thing I do particularly applaud, is the consistency at Oishii. Every time you go there, you can pretty much expect to have the same quality of food. To this note, the Tuna Avocado Maki was well seasoned, and the rice was cooked to a good consistency.


This was the Tori Katsu Curry, it had a good ratio of Curry Sauce to rice, and an ample amount of chicken. I found the dish to be a bit small though.


Another of my sister's must orders is the Himawari (Sunflower) roll. It is basically a fried chicken sushi roll, wrapped in a thinly fried piece of egg in with some seasoning on top. The flavours of the chicken and egg were very complementary with one another, and we really liked this dish.


Next came the Red Bull, which was a crumbed (not tempura) prawn roll. As you can see, the rice to filling ratio wasnt as much as the above rolls, but nevertheless, it was sufficiently flavoured, and the prawns were very crunchy.




Without failure, every time I attend Oishii, I definitely order a portion of Red Dragon and Black Dragon. The Red Dragon is an Avocado Roll, topped with Salmon and Mayonnaise, whilst the Black Dragon is a Tomago and Cucumber Roll, topped with Unagi. Whilst this is definitely our favourite, I feel that every time I order it, the Salmon gets inevitably thinner and thinner, though the Unagi has remained relatively consistent. As with all the sushi above, the rice was well seasoned, as all sushi should be, and the food was fresh and complimented each other really well. 


The last thing to arrive for us was the Triple Treat. Three Salmon Avocado Hand Rolls. The reason why I always order hand rolls is because no matter which Japanese Restaurant I go to, they have to make them fresh for you. Obviously this is beside the point in Oishii, because everything is made to order, but nevertheless, I got them out of habit. The amount of salmon provided in the hand roll was very generous, with two thick slices in each hand roll, it was so big that it covered the rice. The avocado was nice and ripe, and the rice was well seasoned. Whilst it wasn't as good as Oshin, it was still really enjoyable.

Although the price is a bit high to go on a regular basis, I still really enjoy going to Oishii when I have special occasions, or when I'm in a particularly good mood. 

Price Range: $25 - $35 per person

Taste: 8/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10



Oishii Sushi Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment