Friday 5 February 2016

Les Bubbles - Fortitude Valley


With all the online hype, it was only a matter of time before we had a meal at Les Bubbles. Having reached a significant milestone lately, my companion and I headed there for lunch. We had booked in advance, which ensured that we were able to grab a table without any trouble, and it wasn't even half full during lunch time. 


Although I would have preferred a car seat, we got one of the tables in the middle (because we only had two people). 


As mentioned many times by different bloggers and reviewers, Les Bubbles prides itself on only serving one meal (Steak Frittes), and doing it well. Whilst there is only one steak, patrons have the choice of three sauces, and there are quite a number of desserts to choose from. 


Having ordered two steaks, we were soon served with some bread. Having read other reviews, I had quite high expectations, but was quite disappointed when it was served slightly cool and definitely untoasted. Whilst I appreciated the white bread, and the softened butter, it could have been so much better if it was heated.


Next up, we had the soft leaf salad. Whilst I've read quite a number of comments from other patrons about the salad being bitter, I found it quite appetising. Whilst I admit that it's the first time I've had walnut salad, the flavours were refreshing and not too sour. I particularly liked the spanish onion in the salad, and wish that there could have been a bit more, but gave away most of the walnuts to my companion.


Our mains arrived before long, and my companion had his steak cooked medium rare, served with Cafe de Paris sauce, which is a complex butter based sauce made with a wide range of herbs, condiments and spices. Whilst smooth and comforting, he preferred my sauce more.




I ordered my steak medium rare (in line with the recommendation) and had it served with Green Peppercorn sauce. Whilst it wasn't as spicy as black pepper, it definitely packed some zing. The sauce was creamy, and not too salty. The beef was cooked pink, but unfortunately it was still quite tough and chewy with quite a few tendons. As they only make one type of steak, I would have expected a higher level of quality. As for the fries, the portion was very generous, and freshly fried, which ensured its crunchiness, the downside to it was the saltiness. It was extremely salty. So salty that we had to wash a the salt off by using the sauce. 



Despite the saltiness of the chips, the thought of leaving without having a refill of chips was not a possibility that I would entertain. So I finished my portion of fries, and asked for some more. The wait was not insignificant, but we were rewarded with a portion of freshly fried, super crunchy, but still super salty fries. Needless to say, we left feeling very full, and in need of a new kidney.


Price Range: $30 - $45 pp

Taste; 5/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 7/10


Les Bubbles Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment