Monday 12 November 2018

Atelier Brasserie - Bowen Hills


Date night and for once I let go of my usual domineering tendencies for one evening and let him decide on a place to take me out to dinner (along with the usual annotation that should he fail to impress, this will be annotated on his record permanently). He didn't skip one beat and said that he would take me to Atelier Brasserie, the new chic euro brasserie along King Street at Bowen Hills.


With some prior engagements in the afternoon, we enjoyed a relaxing early evening stroll before arriving at our 7pm reservation.


Seating was varied, with standard seats, high chairs and outdoors seating. Not wanting to sit outside, it still took me a little deliberation to decide that I preferred a lounge seat, although the high chairs did give a really good street view, which I will have to return to at a later point to experience it there.



Our super friendly and professional waitress, Jane provided menus and a passionate and inspired rundown of the daily specials in addition to what her favourites from the menu are. It always makes a difference when staff have tried most dishes from the menu and can give such detailed recommendations.


 

Our drinks came quickly after ordering. I had the Pharmaceutical Stimulant, comprising of vodka, kahlua, cold drip and popcorn syrup. Adam, who actually doesn't drink, had a mocktail of the same, but made with seedlip spice, a non alcoholic spirit. Sampling both, I found mine to be more nutty and rich whilst his was more fruity and spicy, both were wonderfully caffeinated and I had a nice buzz going. Later that evening, I also got to try the Solera Side Car, a concoction of Hennessy Cognac, Orange Curacao, cinnamon reduction and pressed citrus. If I had to describe it in one word, it would undoubtedly be strong. I loved the sweet citrus-y tones which were also very refreshing and crisp.


Our entrees came as we were enjoying our drinks. This was the Tomato Gaspacho with yellow capsicum sorbet. For those who haven't tried before, Gaspacho is a cold, Spanish inspired soup made from blended vegetables, perfect for the warmer months. The tomato soup was very creamy, the vegies were crisp and invigorating, but without a doubt the highlight of the dish was the yellow capsicum sorbet. Despite it being sorbet, it was so smooth and so creamy it was almost gelato like, it was savoury and exceptionally fragrant, making for a wonderful addition to an already striking dish.


Now there is no way that I would ever pass up an opportunity to have Steak Tartare if it were on the menu. So this was an easy choice on my part, the Steak Tartare and Bone Marrow which I have long heard of and of which I have seen countless photographs. Simply speaking, I was not disappointed at all, even despite all the hype I had heard about it. The steak was fresh and delicious with a quite congealed texture compared to the other mince-y tartares I've had at other places. The additional pine nuts and marrow ensured both a light but still buttery texture. I also really appreciate that the fresh beefy taste wasn't overpowered by marinade, as well as the optional extra biscotti that Jane offered when she saw I was onto my second one, loved the attentive service.


After our entrees were finished, dishes were whisked away very promptly and mains came.


Having already tried pretty much everything on the menu, Adam opted for the weekly special house made pan fried potato gnocchi with beetroot, green foam and Parmesan crisp. Sampling some of it, I liked the crispy base on the bottom of the Gnocchi and the refreshing savoury green foam. The Parmesan crisp was also strong and sharp, adding a fair amount of crunch and texture to the dish.


My main, being such a predictable person, was undisputed. This was the Steak frites with red wine jus (I had just had Bearnaise earlier in the day and pepper wasn't an option). The cut was his favourite eye fillet, cooked to a wonderful rare which was executed without flaw. Texture was lean and meaty whilst still tender and juicy. The sauce was rich and strong, when coupled with the steak juices, it was a wonderful accompaniment for the fresh and crunchy french fries. Having tried numerous steak frites through the course of my gastronomical adventures, I would have to say that this would no doubt have been one of the best I've had.


Although my Steak Frites came with a small garden salad, we also ordered a side dish as an accompaniment to ensure that Adam got his day's worth of greens. I loved the fresh crispy leaves and the hints of buttery dressing throughout.


Readers will know by now that there can be no meal with Adam without dessert. Tonight he was able to tick off the last dessert on the menu that he hadn't tried, the Almond and fennel tart. Sneaking a bite (or shall I say, exercising girlfriend prerogatives to take what is rightfully mine), the base was crumbly, meringue was soft whilst the fennel had an almost fruity taste to it. 


Being just a little adventurous for once, I had the Rhubarb and lavender Mille Feuille. I loved the crisp flaky pastry. There were hints of rhubarb and a light fragrance of delicate lavender, which rounded of an incredible date night. 


Price Range: $50 - $70pp

Taste: 9.5/10
Value: 8.5/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 9/10


Atelier Brasserie Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment