Tuesday 2 April 2019

Kimchi Cheese Smile - Woolloongabba


Korean isn't often a cuisine that comes to mind when you think of breakfast, but when Adam asked me to go with him to check out the offerings at Kimchi Cheese Smile last Saturday morning, I thought it would be a good chance to try it out. Situated along the very busy Stanley Street East in Woolloongabba, it would have been very difficult for us to find a park. Luckily, we took the bus instead.


Despite the bustle outside, sound proofing was impressive and it was a tranquil sanctuary of peace inside. Air conditioning was strong and we were the first ones to arrive. I really like the wooden theme to the store.

 

The menu was fairly short, drinks were on one sheet of paper whilst food including breakfast and lunch were on another sheet. There were more traditional cafe options like scrambled eggs, but we were there for the more Korean inspired dishes that morning.



Without further ado, we kicked off with drinks. He had his standard cold brew, black. It had hints of maple syrup taste to it which was a welcome change without being overly sweet, I'd definitely come back for this drink. I had my usual cappuccino and found the strength to be good and the milk to be reasonably creamy. 


Our food arrived before long, and it was definitely impressive.


I ordered the bulgogi on turkish with a side of hash brown. The turkish was amazing. The outside was crisp and light whilst the inside was wonderfully textured with just the right amount of porousness. As a big fan of bulgogi in the context of KBBQ, I was keen to see how it would be for breakfast, and it turns out that served with cheese, it was delicious. The sweet soy contrasted with the salty cheddar for a wonderful mixture of flavours. My hash brown was also very crispy.


Normally, I stick to eating my meals and only try bits of Adam's food, but in this instance his lamb ragu was so yummy, I confiscated  helped him out with half of his meal. The lamb ragu was covered with a delightfully strong tomato sauce and had considerable amount of carrot and onion, much like my mum's bolognaise sauce. Served with avocado and some sour cream atop the wonderful turkish bread, it was an amazing meal. For the record, I gave him half of my meal too.


Finishing off our meal, the chef let us try a fresh dessert that he had made, this was the cherry sorbet with pecan, lime and basil. Whilst a little too sweet for my tastes, it was cool and crisp. Adam loved it and polished off the plate.


Espresso and Matcha got to enjoy this complimentary meal by freeloading off FoodieAdam's invite. But as always, my opinions are solely my own. 

Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 9/10
Value: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 9/10
Kimchi Cheese Smile Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment