Monday 29 April 2019

Sichuan Deli - Sunnybank


Always keen on hot soupy noodles, nothing is more warming to the soul than malatang, especially when the weather starts to get cold (except perhaps hot pot ;). Having heard of the fairly newly opened Sichuan Deli which has taken up the old lodgings of Chongqing Street Food at Sunnybank Plaza, we went there for a quick dinner after work.

 

What sets Sichuan Deli apart from all the other malatang places is their mix noodle option, which means that those monsters people who are not a fan of hot soup can have their noodles served with mixed sauce instead. At $3.28 per 100g, this makes it one of the more expensive options in the Sunnybank/Runcorn area and comparable to CBD pricing. 


By now, everyone knows the drill, you get a bowl and help yourself.


Options were one of the widest in variety I have seen in all my experiences with Malatang. 


I was especially impressed by the seafood options of crab, oyster, scallops and prawns which were included in the standard $3.28 per 100g pricing. I haven't been able to see this anywhere else in Brisbane.


Finalising my selection, I weighed up at the counter. 


A small selection of sides were also on offer if you wanted dim sims with your noodles.


Getting our number we waited patently and I decided to check out the sauce situation.


It was sadly very lacking. With only chilli and sesame along with some peppers, I left disappointed, empty handed and garlic-less. 


My companion had his noodles with the mildly spicy soup. He had considerable amounts of seafood and remarked that the prawns were fresh but the crab wasn't with meat that disintegrated quite easily. He also said that for once, mild spice was definitely mild enough for easy consumption on our part. 


Not wanting to risk it, I had my selection with non spicy chicken soup. It was surprisingly rich for chicken, but still not as tasty as pork bone at Love Malatang in Runcorn. My ingredients are cooked wonderfully, noodles are tender and soft whilst the beef and mushrooms aren't overdone and crab sticks haven't disintegrated, making it already better than a few that I've been to recently.


Sharing a small basket of xiaolongbao, these were definitely machine made, frozen and reheated, it was disappointing and not worth the price of $5.50 for 4 at all.

Price Range: $15 - $30pp

Taste: 5/10
Value: 5/10
Service: 5/10
Environment: 6/10

Sichuan Deli Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment