Wednesday 11 August 2021

Lune Croissanterie - South Brisbane


From my observations, there seems to be a general obsession with Brisbane residents and lining up for bread. I had supposed it was from the boredom of lockdown last year but after considerable observation it seems like people are determined to line up for bread with or without lockdowns and despite lockdowns. I'm not usually one to join the hype, preferring my warm blankets and bed, but once in a while there is an opening which captures my interest to the point of waking up at 5.30am in the middle of winter to lining up for bread. Lune Croissanterie was definitely one of these openings. Opening under The Standard in the middle of lockdown certainly caused a lot of drama for the staff, but so long as we were all within the rules and regulations, we should be free to line up for bread.


Arriving at 6.30am meant that I was first in line (but the line grew exceptionally quickly after I got there before snaking down several blocks). Being first also meant that they were fully stocked and all fresh out of the oven. I was hoping for their Queensland Strawberry specials but they didn't have any when I went (I guess that's an excuse to go back soon!)



After an hour and a half in line, we got a selection of baked goodies and went home to enjoy them.



Special mention to the packaging which is one of the most firm and sturdy I've ever had for bread.


With such good protection, all my baked goodies came home completely unharmed. It was such a relief. What was even better was that because it was such a short trip home, the croissants were still warm when we ate them.



As is his favourite, I ordered Dr L a Pain au Chocolat. It was flakey without being too firm and had fluffy light layers inside without being oily. Rather than one piece of chocolate inside, it had two. Trying some myself, it was considerably better than any I've had recently.


My first one was the Ham and Gruyere, a favourite for Iron Fist. Also warm with the cheese not yet set, it was wonderful. I especially enjoyed how the ham and cheese had not exuded oil and made the pastry too greasy. Price wise it was a little bit more expensive than other places locally, but the quality more than makes up for it.

 

Dr L's second pastry was the Lemon Curd Cruffin. I had picked this just to try a bit of it myself. The layers were delicious but the dusting of sugar was quite sweet and the lemon curd was quite sour, making for quite intense flavours when we would have liked something a bit more subdued. Nevertheless, we are glad we tried it and would be keen to try out other flavoured cruffins in later months.



Being the basic girl that I am, I had to get the Traditional Croissant. This was delicate and flakey with distinct buttery layers that were fragrant but not greasy. The plain croissant allows for a pure appreciation of the pastry in it's originally intended form without any distraction and this was definitely one that really satisfied. I'll be back very soon.

Price Range: $10 - $15pp

Taste: 9/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 9/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment