Friday 23 October 2015

Roti Place - Brisbane CBD


With my most recent posts about Malaysian Food, my long absent Burger Connoisseur (yes, he's still alive) suggested that I try out Roti Place as a good go to spot for Malaysian food. We took a ten minute stroll on Thursday to try it out for lunch.


Compared to Pappa Rich, it was definitely no where near as flashy or populous, but it did have a not insignificant amount of patrons, and service was still prompt.


My friend ordered the Char Kway Teow. Having been educated on the essential elements in a proper char kway teow, I can say this is one of the most authentic ones in Brisbane. It had ample amounts of Ho Fan, doused in dark soy sauce, stir fried until caramelised. In terms of toppings, it contained the essential components of bean sprouts, preserved sausage, fish cake and prawns. Additionally, they also had pieces of fish ball and calamari, which was quite soft and tender. Compared to the one we had at Pappa Rich, it was definitely far more authentic and tasty.


Despite our great experience with the Kway Teow, I was rather disappointed with the Bak Kut Teh, which was something I was very keen to try out. Having tried it before at Kitchen Inn, I fell in love with the super strong herbal smells and taste of the soup. Hoping that there would be a reasonably similar one located in the CBD, I ordered it at Roti Place. It came served with bread sticks which were soft and freshly made, but the Bak Kut Teh itself was exceptionally underwhelming. The soup itself had very mild hints of herbs, and was by far the weakest Bak Kut Teh I've ever had. The pork was very fatty, and bland, whilst the tofu was merely lukewarm. I was offered the option of having rice to go with the soup, but found the bread sticks to be sufficient. 

Overall I consider roti place to be quite a hit and miss. the Kway Teow was really quite delicious, whilst the Bak Kut Teh was quite a let down. I would try this place again though, to try other dishes, as I spied other diners having what appear to be very tasty laksa and hainan chicken.


Price Range: $10 - $20 per person

Taste: 6/10 
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 6/10




Roti Place Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment