Tuesday 8 December 2015

Madtongsan IV - Sunnybank


The fourth in the Madtongsan chain is situated in Sunnybank, in the bustling Market Square. Whilst I don't go there frequently, it is one of the few restaurants that open up until midnight, which means that if I watch a late night movie, I can still enjoy a proper (non fast food) meal afterwards.



The restaurant is relatively clean for Sunnybank standards, well lit and inviting. The menu, whilst very similar to other madtongsan branches, I believe has a few variations, according to my companion. Unlike other Korean restaurants, there were no buttons on the table to get service, so we still had to resort to waving down a waitress to place our order. 


We were provided with three banchan, including spicy kimchi, creamy pasta and preserved sweetened potato. Whilst I didn't particularly enjoy the potato, the kimchi was very appetizing, whilst the creamy pasta served as a good cooling neutraliser for my main.


My companion ordered the Dol Sot Yook Hew, which was rice, veges and raw marinated beef, topped with a raw egg. It was served in a stone hot pot, where you mix the ingredients in yourself to cook the dish. Whilst we would have liked a lot more beef in the dish, the veges were fresh, and the egg glued it together not unlike a sauce. My companion liked it mild (without spicy sauce), but in my opinion, that made it a bit bland. 



My other companion had the Dol Sot Udon, which was Udon Noodle Soup, served in a burning hot stone bowl. As you can see from the photo, it was boiling hot. It contained an ample amount of seafood, namely octopus, calamari, fish and mussels. I found the broth to be light and quite mild, but nevertheless, nourishing.


My main, was the Kimchi Fried Rice. It was served with salad and topped with a fried egg. The rice was generous in portion, and in my opinion, struck a good balance between spiciness whilst maintaining the flavour of the pork and kimchi. The salad was very fresh, and had a light dressing to draw a contrast to the fried rice. I would have liked it if it had a bit more meat to the rice, but otherwise, I found it to be quite delicious.


Price Range:$10 - $20pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 8/10


Madtongsan IV Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment