Sunday 27 March 2016

Genkotsu Ramen - Toowong


With my enduring love for Japanese Food, my friend and I decided that with the onset of chilly weather, it would be a good time to go to Toowong and try out Genkotsu Ramen. Whilst it is situated on Sherwood Road, which is a main road in the area, it was considerably well hidden at the back of one of the little arcades outside Toowong Village.


The menu was provided at the door, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were significant variations in the menu to what their Runcorn store


 

Despite the difference in menu though, the decor and condiments were thankfully the same. Again, we ordered at the counter and were given a number.


At my advise, my companion ordered the black garlic ramen with shoyu base. The serving size was generous, as he did not need to ask for kadaema. The black garlic was very fragrant, and was the highlight of the dish. We would have liked the soup to be more emulsified, but we definitely enjoyed the strong soy sauce flavours. The meat was relatively tender, but the egg was sadly overdone for our liking.


As for myself, I ordered the soft shell crab ramen, and the whole crab came on the side. Sadly, I didn't have a choice for soup base, but I believe I had the Shio one, which complemented the seafood flavours of the crab. Again my egg was also considerably overdone, with the yolk almost completely cooked and no remnant of liquidity. I also enjoyed the texture of the noodles, which was springy, but not too hard.


We also shared the gyoza, which was one of the better ones that I've had. The skin was very thin, and thankfully they were not stuck together. The fillings were meaty and juicy, and the bottom was crisp. The only thing I would have enjoyed was if the fillings were more seasoned.

Price Range: $10 - $20pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10
Genkotsu Ramen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment