Sunday 25 September 2016

Sri Mahkota - Sunnybank Hills


Living near Sunnybank Hills means that I drive past the main foodie district in the Sunnybank area on a daily basis. A couple weeks ago, I noticed a sign for a new restaurant, Sri Mahkota go up. With the recommendation of a Malaysian friend, I finally relented and went to try it out last week. 

 

We arrived just before 12pm, and it was really lucky that we did. Whilst it was only half full when we arrived, the 12pm rush resulted in a small crowd waiting outside for a table. Water and menus were brought out very quickly, and we made our selection from the large array of traditional Malaysian meals on offer.


One of my companions ordered the Hainan Chicken Rice, which came with a chicken broth. I was immediately impressed by the chicken broth, which wasn't as clear as the other ones I'd tried before. Whilst to some, this may be not as aesthetically pleasing, it provides me a bit of assurance that the soup was actually made of real ingredients (as opposed to just msg soup base). The chicken rice itself was quite delicious, being fragrant and tasty. The chicken was served warm (a nice addition), but was somewhat small in proportion to the rice and soup provided. 


My other companion had the seafood laksa. Considering the other alternatives in Brisbane, this was probably the one with the largest serving size we had ever seen. It came with both rice noodle and hokkien noodle, topped with fish cake, fish balls, calamari, prawns and some dried tofu puff. My companion found the soup to be nice and spicy, the portions to be generous, but the tastes were quite generic and not too different from what you could get from Little Singapore.


Wanting to try something different (for once), I settled with the herbal duck mixed noodles. Expecting a piece of roast duck, I was quite surprised to be given a slow cooked duck maryland instead. To my delight, it was quite delicious, and the meat easily fell off the bone (friends will attest to my dislike of meat which clings to cartilage at joints). The noodles were nice and springy without being too salty from the sauce, and the soup was definitely herbal (but not bitter). The large portions of this meal were also very commendable.

Price Range: $12 - $20pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7/10

Sri Mahkota Malaysian Cuisine Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment