Thursday 9 March 2017

Udon Tokoton - Sunnybank


Seeing the popularity of Mappen Menya, I was almost sure it would be around for a really long time. Which is why I was so surprised when I saw that it had a change of management a few months ago. Taking a further look at the menu though, the premise of the restaurant appeared the same as before. Wanting to satisfy my curiosity, we headed inside for some lunch.



Like previously, we ordered the base meal (udon, soba or rice) at the door, service was quick, friendly and efficient.


Next up is a self serve section full of fried foods that customers can pick and choose from. Prices are quite reasonable with most things under three dollars.


Next was the chilled selection, with an abundance of salads, cold dishes, some desserts and Japanese drinks. We paid at the cashier after making our choices.


Seating is sparse, and surprisingly they didn't really renovate the premises much despite the change of management. It still reminded me of a little street in Japan, with its street food and alleys.


My companion that night ordered a simple Pork Katsu Curry and didnt opt for any of the sides. It only came with one pork chop, but the curry was ample to give the bowl enough flavour. The rice was Japanese short grain, which I appreciated, and some pickles and green onion balanced the dish. For $10, it was a good deal.


I settled on a large udon and grabbed a side of prawn and tofu. The udon is always fresh and very tender (no nasty preservative aftertaste here!). Not being overly hungry, I only had two sides. The prawn was freshly fried and piping hot, whilst the tofu offered a cool refreshing contrast. My meal also came to approximately $10 and was excellent value for money.

Price Range: $7 - $15pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 9/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10

Udonya Tokoton Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment