Thursday 31 May 2018

Chotto Matte - Brisbane CBD


So, as some of my readers now know, I blow a lot of money on eating when I'm with Iron Fist due to his love of extravagant fine dining. Most other times I live the life of a poor broke girl that I am, and what does a poor girl like more than anything? Free food. So when I heard that Chotto Matte (translating to "Please wait a second"), a new venture by the owners of Kamikaze (another entry on my to-go list), were having an opening special of free food all week, I made sure to get there early. Arriving at 10.45am in anticipation of an 11am opening time, I was greeted with a line of what appeared to be mostly uni students. 




With the crowd of people, it took me over an hour to be in a position to make an order. The menu itself comprised of Japanese rice bowls, hot plate meals and sides.


Drinks were also available, although the prices were a little steep for this broke girl.


On that day, there were four rice bowl options in their free food promotion.


Putting my order through, I was given a number and made my way inside to find a seat. The seating wasn't too big, and it accommodated roughly 20 - 30 people, which is probably why it took such a wait to get a table.


Food came rather promptly afterwards. 


My chicken katsu don with egg was quite substantial in size, which was very pleasing. The chicken was crispy and the coating was quite delicious with a well seasoned and tasty meat texture was quite firm. The egg was also done quite well, with it being well done in some places but still retaining liquidity in some parts. The downside however was the rice, which was severely under-cooked and hard.


On the side, I ordered a serve of tako karage. It was basically octopus coated with karage batter and deep fried. It was quite large for a side portion. The batter was crispy and crunchy, but the octopus was a little firm.


Rounding off the meal, I also ordered a matcha soft serve. For 50 cents, it was a great deal. The matcha was quite intense, and the texture was sufficiently creamy, albeit a little icy.

Price Range: $15 - $30pp

Taste: 6.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10


Chotto Matte Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment