Tuesday 1 May 2018

BillyKart - West End


One thing I missed immensely when going overseas was the apparent lack of brunch culture that I had grown so fond of. Which is why I made a point to go with Queen V to get some at the highly acclaimed Billykart out at West End. Being as popular as it was meant that arriving at 9.45am on a Saturday, all tables were full. Staff were professional and courteous, and after a roughly 15 minute wait, I was soon seated.


The cafe was really quite large and bustling with customers, and I loved the pastry cart on display which really whet my appetite. 

 

The breakfast menu consisted of quite a few modern options, as opposed to the more traditional styles that I am used to. Service was quick and we were able to put our order through very promptly.


Both Queen V and I ordered a cappuccino. It was made using the ever popular campos blend, and as expected, it was very strong and had considerable body. The milk was reasonably rich and I appreciated the fact that there wasn't an excessive amount of cocoa on the cup. 


Queen V ordered the Huevos rancheros, consisting of  baked eggs, chipotle braised yellow squash, red peppers, plantain chips and baja sour cream. It was very fragrant and the flavours were super intense, especially for the peppers and squash. The plantain chips made for a nice change from the usual, however the sauces in the dish were slightly watery, which made it difficult to scoop onto the chips without running too much. The eggs were quite well done though and mixed well with the sauces.


Also trying something different, I opted for the Eggs bender, a crispy potato waffle served with a fried egg and bacon on the side. The potato waffle was quite delicious with a crispy exterior and a fluffy carb-y centre that really made me guilty afterwards. The fried egg was nice with a good runny centre, but I would have preferred some more crispiness around the edges. Overall the dish was quite yummy, however given the price point, I do consider the portion to be somewhat small, thankfully I added a side of bacon, which was not overly thick cut, but had a nice crispy edge.

Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 7/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10

Billykart Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment