Monday 7 May 2018

The New Black - Fortitude Valley


Saw quite a few posts lately about the newly opened "The New Black" at Fortitude Valley and the shots were very enticing, so with a work meeting cancelled, I made the hike out to fortitude valley on Friday to check out the food on offer and kick off the weekend. Initially, I had wandered into Bakery Lane, expecting it to be there, but it turned out to be outside, along the ever busy Ann Street. Wandering in, I noted the modern hipster setup with rustic exposed brick walls. I was soon greeted by the friendly waitress, who explained that the cafe ran via counter service and offered me a seat. 


 

Taking a look at the menu, my attention was immediately drawn to my favourite build your own breakfast due to my longstanding love affair with all things customisable. I also liked the large variety of coffee other than the standard espresso types. Without further adieu, I made my order at the counter. 

 

Wanting to try something out of the ordinary, I ordered the nitrobrew coffee. The coffee was quite smooth and rich, much like a beer but with a more velvety texture. I found the coffee to be quite sharp with a mild bitterness and very limited acidity. 



My breakfast also came soon after. I opted for the sourdough with poached eggs, haloumi, avocado, bacon and cured salmon. Portion wise, I found the bacon to be quite generous, but the salmon and avocado to be somewhat lacking. The taste though was definitely high caliber with a well toasted sourdough that had a nice crunch to it. The bacon could have been a bit crispier, but nonetheless the fat rendered quite well. Eggs were tasty with a runny yolk. The avocado could have been more ripe, and was slightly difficult to spread. Salmon was quite well seasoned with a beetroot flavour, but the portion was really not enough for me to really enjoy it. 

Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 7/10
Value: 5/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10

The New Black Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment