Wednesday 27 June 2018

Genkotsu Ramen - Mt Gravatt


Having just been to Men Ya Go, I was definitely inspired to keep going down my ramen hit list, which is what brought me to the newly opened Genkotsu Ramen at Mt Gravatt. Having been to their Runcorn store when it first opened, I recall the store was quite small and the queues were insane. Thankfully the new store at Mt Gravatt seems to definitely have rectified this, with this store being able to accommodate at least 50 patrons as opposed to 20. Arriving on a weeknight though, there was really very little competition for seats and almost no queue at all, which was a relief.



Like our previous experiences, we were able to order at the counter, with 15 bowls of noodles, a selection of five mini rice options and a bunch of sides, this was definitely a ramen store with more variety than the usual. I did note however that toppings which usually come complimentary such as takana and crushed garlic were chargeable, which I found to be quite disappointing. At least kaedama was free.



Making our order at the counter, we got a number and waited patiently for our food, which did come promptly at least. 


Both of my companions ordered the Gyokai ramen, with a standard tonkotsu mixed with a fish broth. The soup was rich and creamy with a thick gelatinous texture, the fish taste was strong without being overbearing and the noodles were very tasty, erring on the side of soft, the way my companions preferred it.



Of course, I ordered the black garlic shoyu ramen. It had a delectably fragrant and smoky garlic scent which I adored, a thick rich and decadent pork bone soup infused with a strong taste, and wonderfully textured noodles. I also loved that the pork melted in my mouth and the egg was done perfectly.


Gratuitous close up of the perfect egg.


We also had three bowls of kaedama, the noodles were fresh, tender and really hit the spot.


To share we also had a serve of gyoza. These were perfectly caramelised parcels of vegies and meat soaked in meat juices. I loved the thin skin and the crispy base. It probably makes for the best gyoza I've had in Brisbane in 2018.

Price Range: $10 - $20pp

Taste: 9/10
Value: 9/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10


Genkotsu Ramen, Upper Mount Gravatt Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment