Thursday 12 July 2018

New Farm Deli Cafe - New Farm


As readers will have noted lately, I've been making an effort to get through quite a few brunch places that have made my list for some time, and I hadn't gotten to, one of which is the infamous New Farm Deli Cafe, which has been quite well established in the area, apparently long before I was even born. Having heard of how popular it is, I strategically planned an arrival at 9.45am to get in before the 10am crowd. Thankfully this paid off well with my being able to secure a table before the crowds came and so we didn't need to queue up to get a seat.


Being seated inside, I did appreciate how spacious the restaurant was, with considerable indoor and outdoor seating. The black and white tiled floor was especially striking and gave it quite a classic vibe.


As staff were extremely busy, I picked up the menu from the counter myself. The selection was quite traditional, but had a strong Italian influence, with quite a few Italian inspired dishes on their brunch menu. 


 

Given how packed the cafe was, it was only natural that service was via the counter. Given how popular the cafe was, it took a good 15 mins before I could put down my order, but staff were friendly and efficient.


Just as efficient as counter staff were, as were the baristas. Our coffee came out super promptly after I sat back down.

 

My two companions ordered lattes whilst I ordered a cappuccino. The coffee that New Farm Deli Cafe served was Vittoria blend, as its signature, it was full bodied and quite bitter with a low acidity. It was quite strong and we enjoyed it thoroughly.


A good 20 or so minutes after our coffee arrived, our food came out all together.


My first companion wanted to try something unusual and opted for the Sicilian Brekky, which contained Sicilian-style pork & fennel sausage sautéed with roasted capsicum, onion, spinach & potato and served with poached eggs and toast. My companion found this breakfast to be an exceptional flavour hit. The capsicum and onions had a wonderfully tangy sauce that was both sweet and sour, making it a wonderful topping for the crusty sourdough toast. While he had expected a bit more by way of sausage content in the dish, he did enjoy the perfectly runny poached egg.


My other companion ordered the Funghetto which comprised of sauteed field mushrooms, topped with herbed butter & Meredith goats fetta, it was served with avocado and baby tomatoes, garnished with balsamic and served on sourdough. She loved how wonderfully buttery and well seasoned the mushrooms were, giving them a deliciously smooth and robust taste. Coupled with the tang of tomatoes and feta, this made for a perfectly balanced dish. The avocado was also perfectly ripened.


Opting for a more traditional favourite, I settled for the Deli Brekkie, with smoked salmon, avocado, poached eggs, potato cakes, rocket and tomato. I also added an extra slice of toast. Like my companion, my avocado was perfectly ripe. The potato cake was fried, but the batter could be crispier, however it was very well seasoned. I was surprised though at how little salmon was in the dish, not more than one full slice. Other than that, my bread was crusty and delicious and the tomato was also tasty.


Between the three of us, we also had a side of bacon to share. This was thin cut as I like it, had a crispy edge around the side and wasn't overly fatty. It was very well received.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7.5/10

New Farm Deli and Cafe Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment