Wednesday 31 October 2018

Six Feet Under - Newstead


Last week, I had the privilege of accompanying my favourite instagram celebrity out to try the food at the preview launch of Six Feet Under, the newest cafe at Newstead. Situated at Masters street, it was a short distance away from the central hub that is Skyring Terrace. With its vintage gates, it was definitely striking and definitely piques the interest.



The interior is quite large for a cafe. Being inspired by cafes in Melbourne, it had a very alternate rustic charm to it. 


The seasonal menu had quite a few light options, just in time for the summer months. Being able to talk to the chef and understand his ideas ans inspiration behind the menu was also definitely a highlight of the morning.

 

First up though was our coffee. Adam had a long black (hot as they were out of ice), and I had my usual cappuccino. Both were strong and really hit the spot. The foam on top of my cappuccino was rich and dense without excessive amounts of cocoa. 


Our breakfast came before long. Adam had the Scallops which were served with  black pudding, pea panna cotta, pumpkin, broad beans, puffed pork rind. I really enjoyed the puffed pork rind which was crispy like a rice cake, it went well with the pea panna cotta which was smooth and creamy almost like a dip. The scallops were well caramelised and had a nice texture to them as well.


Forgoing my usual eggs on toast, I had the Salmon, this was served with gin + passion fruit gravlax, cucumber, kohlrabi, buttermilk, yuzu gel and 63 degree egg. It was a wonderfully light and refreshing dish, with the delicious salmon complimenting well with the crunchy cucumber and kohlrabi salad, which tasted almost like a coleslaw. The egg made for a rich sauce which was then balanced with the sharp tang of yuzu. I only wish there were more.

Espresso and Matcha got to enjoy this complimentary meal by freeloading off FoodieAdam's invite. But as always, my opinions are solely my own.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 9/10

Six Feet Under Newstead Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment