Friday 21 December 2018

Special Rub - Coorparoo


Saturday morning we were feeling hungry for breakfast. Not really wanting to brave the crowds at New Farm or Bulimba, we thought outside the box and found ourselves at Coorparoo Square, specifically at Special Rub for an American inspired diner style breakfast. Kicking off at 9AM, we were the first in the door. With seating both inside and outside, I would normally prefer indoors, but he preferred the sunlight and morning breeze, so I acquiesced (things you do for the ones you love I guess). 

 

The menu was short and sweet. You could definitely tell that the options were very American inspired. Having unlimited filter coffee though, was definitely something that struck me. We had to have it and at $5 per person, it was such a steal. 


 

With a filter coffee setup inside, I went in and fixed us both cups. He had his black and I had mine white, so we had the best of both worlds. With I liked the brew which was clean and crisp whilst maintaining a level of strength, which is why we had three cups each. If they had this closer to home or work, I would definitely be a regular. 


Being the adventurous type, he had the fried chicken French toast topped with coffee maple. Apparently they had forgotten the bacon on his dish. I really enjoyed the chicken which was fresh, juicy and crispy, but would have been so much more enjoyable if it was boneless. The French toast was also thick cut, fluffy and the crust wasn’t overly thick and chewy. The maple glaze was definitely infused with coffee, and was quite tasty. 


I had a serve of bacon and eggs with toast and an added side of avocado with feta. The bacon was a good level of thickness with a toasty caramelised edge to it. Being the considerate girlfriend that I am, I gave him half of my bacon, which he wolfed down (things you do for love, right?), My fried eggs were fairly standard, I would have liked a crispy edge and the option for salt and pepper to top it off. Toast was fluffy and delicious, whilst the avocado was generous in portion and I liked the sharp tang of feta that added some depth to it. 


Rounding off, we had to have some hash browns to conclude our meal. These were freshly fried but tasted a bit processed and much like the ones that can be found in the store. Nevertheless, deep fried potato is a weakness of mine and they were devoured with much appreciation. 

Espresso and Matcha got to enjoy this complimentary meal by freeloading off FoodieAdam's invite. But as always, my opinions are solely my own.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp 

Taste: 7/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10

Special Rub Smoked Meats Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment