Thursday 7 February 2019

Matcha Honpo - Brisbane CBD


2019 Must be the year that dreams come true. Although I've been able to resist the temptation of most desserts, Matcha is one thing I've never been able to walk away from, no matter how stringent the diet restrictions. Readers will know how obsessed I am with Sydney's Matcha cafe, Cre Asion, and my prayers were answered when when Brisbane's own Matcha Honpo opened along Wharf Street last week. 



We headed there right after work for a quick afternoon snack.

 

The menu was definitely very snack and small bite based. Half the menu comprised of cold drinks whilst the other half consisted of savoury hot dogs and fries along with parfaits. 


A small selection of pastries were available at the counter, and we made our order fairly quickly. Unfortunately seating was quite limited with a few seats outside in the elements, and even fewer seats inside. Adam decided to sit outside for the fresh air.


Our order was prepared fairly quickly. 


Kicking off with our shared matcha swiss roll, it was soft and fluffy, filled with smooth and rich matcha cream, sprinkled again with matcha powder to finish. Whilst its texture was commendable, it definitely was nowhere near as strong as the cakes I've had down south, but I'd still come back for it.


Adam got the Espresso and Matcha ;) because my eyes were set on something else. Presented like the Starbucks special from a few years back with three layers of matcha, milk and espresso. Comparatively, I found the matcha to be a bit less strong than I had expected, but the coffee was fragrant and they mixed together quite well. He loved this drink.


Wanting to try something different, I had the Matcha Tiramisu Parfait. Mousse, cream, corn flakes, soft serve, topped with a shortbread cookie and oddly, a piece of baguette sprinkled with matcha powder, it was definitely a sight to behold. Again I found the soft serve to be weaker than I would have liked, but it was smooth and creamy, providing contrast to the crisp cornflakes. I wasn't expecting shortbread, seeing as the display picture actually showed ladyfinger (hence tiramisu), but it and the baguette were of the standard storebought variety. What I did really enjoy though, was the mousse which was surprisingly intense and delightfully rich. 

Going on one of the first days, I knew it would be a bit rough around the edges, but Matcha Honpo has potential, and I'll definitely be back.

Price Range: $10 - $20pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 7.5/10
Environment: 7/10

Matcha Honpo Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment