Tuesday 26 November 2019

Boba Chicken - Upper Mt Gravatt



As controversial a topic as it may be, I actually like Taiwanese Fried Chicken a lot more than Korean Fried Chicken. Having said that, Taiwanese Fried Chicken is nowhere near as prevalent in Brisbane as Korean Chicken, which is why Boba Chicken has long held its place fairly high on my list. Passing by Garden City last week, I was super keen to try it out and was glad to have the opportunity. 


Despite the fact that Hot Star was right around the corner on the other side of 8 Street, I was really excited when I saw the broad variety of fried goods on their menu. I also really liked their fairly wide variety of drinks available to order, and the special for $4.50 drinks when fried goods are purchased.


Ordering at the counter, it took a fair amount of time for our food to be prepared. Seating was, as you would expect, limited to the foot court of Garden City. 



First up we shared the not overly photogenic, but extremely delicious Vermicelli with chicken and mushroom. Although the type I had in Taipei came with pork intestines, and this came with the far more flour than expected from others I've tasted previously and the noodles were a bit clumpier for my liking.


We had the Strawberry Blush for our shared drink. It was sweet and refreshing, I liked that it had some real strawberry chunks in it, but the tea itself tasted a little artificial.


We shared a serve of deep fried turnip cake. This was very crisp and well seasoned on the outside, but inside the turnip didn't have too much by way of taste and flavour, rather also being largely consistent of flour.


The main event was of course the large fried chicken. Rather than having an assortment of flavours, the choices were between spicy and non spicy. The chicken was not as large as I would have expected from Hot Star. The batter was a bit thicker than expected and the chicken was lighter on taste than I would have preferred, but still quite satisfying.

Price Range: $10 - $20pp

Taste: 6/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 6/10

Boba Chicken Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment