Tuesday 30 November 2021

Banneton bakery - Camp Hill


This week's adventures in driving took us to Camp Hill Village, a place I have long wanted to go to but never made the time to check out. It was completely packed when we went (mid morning on a Saturday), which did not help the situation as Dr L was still learning how to park. Anyway, I was able to eventually make my way over to Bannetons to pick up some lunch.


There was a small queue when I arrived and it moved quite slowly. Service was friendly and staff made and attempt to chat to all customers. For the small store that it was, it had a huge abundance of baked goods crammed into a very small space. It took a bit of deliberation, but I ordered my selection to go.


So it turns out that the hot savoury items were actually stored cold so that I could reheat them at home. Staff were very helpful in advising me the best way to heat them up (from when the oven is cold). This was the pork and fennel sausage roll. It was flaky and wholesome, I liked the crumbly pork and the buttery layers of pastry which melted in my mouth. I also think that the ratio of filling to pastry was generous and wonderful.


Our other savoury pastry was the Guinness Beef Pie. I found this to be quite ordinary, there were a few discernible chunks of beef in the pie but it was largely mince. The gravy was quite strongly flavoured with beef and veggies, to the point where I couldn't get much by way of stout flavours. Nonetheless, it was filling and delicious.


We rounded off with a  Pain au Chocolat. I liked how layered it was without being too greasy at all. The layers were light and airy with hints of butteryness. There wasn't too much by way of chocolate but what it did contain was rich and slightly bitter. I really enjoyed it and would come back for the croissants alone.

Price Range: $10 - $20pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment