Thursday 4 November 2021

Leonards - Brisbane CBD



Readers may remember that a few years back, I had the privilege of dining at one of the most distinguished restaurants in town, Urbane. Due to unfortunate circumstances, they closed shortly before 2020 started. Fortunately, Leonards decided to take up the spot with it's modern Australian style bistro and I checked it out with a good friend a couple weeks ago.




With it's elegant setting, we were offered two leather bound menus. I also really liked the rustic vibes of their exposed brick walls. As for the menu, there were quite a few options for three course meals, but as with most people confined to their lunch break, I was keen to keep it quick and so was pleased to see some express lunch options.



Starting off, we had some complimentary amuse bouche. These were delicate slices of crisp bread with what seemed to be a light creamy seafood salad on it. We quite enjoyed it and liked how appetizing the snack was. 


My friend had the Leonards Burger, comprising of house minced brisket patty, melting emmental and white onion jam served with skin on fries. He really enjoyed the burger, especially the melty cheese. I stole a fry (or two) and loved how crunchy they were, especially with the skin on.


Opting for the express lunch, this was the smoked chicken maryland, tomato, charred corn and soft polenta. Compared to my friend's lunch, this was far inferior. The chicken was tender and moist but the dish was so salty I could barely eat it. Unfortunately, we didn't have staff come and ask us how our meal was, otherwise I would have raised it on the spot. The polenta eased it a little bit but I was hardly able to get any other flavours over how salty the chicken was. Unless drastic improvements are made, I definitely don't think I'll be back anytime soon.

Price Range: $25 - $50pp

Taste: 6/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment