Saturday 6 November 2021

Motto Mochi Lab - Fortitude Valley


Those who have kept up with foodie news around town would not have failed to spot the newly opened Motto Mochi Lab in Fortitude Valley. With their limited opening hours and only being open on weekdays, I found it quite difficult to find a time to go get some. Luckily for me, a good friend was on annual leave and offered to pick some up for all of us to enjoy after a dinner gathering. 


Always tempted by his addiction to chocolate, Dr L had an Oreo flavoured mochi donut. This was covered with a cookie crumb coating and topped with half a piece of oreo. He didn't mind the donut but commented on how he found it quite hard.


Wanting to try something different (for once), I had the Sakura flavoured mochi donut. Having had the benefit of enjoying Mister Donut on my travels across Asia as well as making my own home made mochi donuts, I had a certain expectation of what it was going to be. This was definitely not what I expected. Visually it was the same, but biting into it, it was very hard and not chewy or soft at all. This was after assurances from my friend that it had not gone into the fridge and was eaten same day of purchase. The glaze was standard for Sakura, very fresh and fruity, but the marshmallows were a bit of a strange addition. Like their other venture, Botanical Lab, I found Motto Mochi Lab to be mostly appearances and not much by way of substance. Until improvements are made, I think I'll stick to making my own mochi donuts at home.

Price Range: $4.20 each

Taste: 6/10
Value: 6/10
Service: N/A
Environment: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment