Thursday 5 May 2022

Kung Fu Fryer - Sunnybank


Although I am a huge fan of Hot Star Large Fried Chicken, I am always open to trying new Taiwanese fried chicken places. In fact the more Taiwanese fried chicken places in Brisbane, the better we will all be (in my opinion). With that in mind, I had been interested to try out Kung Fu Fryer for some time. It has been open for a little while at Market Square and is situated near Kingsfood. It's a bit hidden away and doesn't have much of a social media presence, but I am regularly reminded of it when I walk past.


On this occasion, I already had lunch plans beforehand but had gotten to a point of being annoyed at walking past and wondering if they were any good, so I just decided to grab a "light" snack before my lunch. The menu was positioned outside and there were a few notable differences from Hotstar nearby. Firstly there was a clear absence of drinks and combo deals, which was really not a huge issue given the abundance of bubble tea nearby. The menu also wasn't as chicken focused as Hotstar, with the option of pork bones, pork cutlet, whole squid as well as a decent amount of offal options. It was only manned by one staff who was friendly and helpful. Items were battered to order, which I think is a bit different to other places too.

 

Wanting to make sure that my comparison is fair, I had a serve of fried chicken breast fillet. It also came in a plastic bag and was extremely hot, straight out of the fryer.


This was surprisingly good and definitely exceeded my expectations. The chicken fillet was large (but not as large as hotstar) and was boneless. The meat was fresh though and battered in potato starch and most importantly garlic (which is always a win in my books). The variety of seasoning was limited at Kung Fu Fryer and didn't have my usual favourite of seaweed but salt and pepper was still delicious. The flavours were stronger than hot star but I think the meat texture wasn't as good. Having said that this was still extremely delicious and I would definitely go back to try out their other options. 

Price Range: $10 - $20pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment