Sunday 8 May 2022

Make My Day - Woolloongabba


I have long been interested in checking out Make My Day, a cafe situated along Gibbon St in the Gabba near the Eden Lane precinct. Finally went there last Saturday morning when Dr L had a weekend shift and I ambled over after walking him to work. It was fairly well hidden, a block away from the main shopping areas, but it was still very popular that morning.

 

The coffee menu was short and sweet, notably they have filter coffee, which I'll definitely have to come back and try at a later date. They don't have too much of a food offering other than four types of toasties and an assortment of pastries in the display cabinet. The coffee is very affordable given how much it has gone up in other places however I was a bit dismayed that the toasties had no prices on them, which struck me with a slight anxiety when ordering. For the record, the kimchi toastie was $13, not too cheap but not too expensive either.

 

Ordinarily, I would have opted for the batch brew, however having been stuck at home for a week with the flu, I was craving hard for a barista coffee, so went with a large skim cappuccino. Bonus points for the sparkling water on tap, which is something that never ceases to impress me. The coffee was done very well, it was strong without being burnt or acidic, the chocolate was rich and sweet, I really enjoyed it and the size was also generous for a large. Will definitely have to be back for the brewed coffee.


I had the kimchi toastie. It was good to make a comparison because I make this at home very often. Firstly the toastie was a lot thinner than what I make at home, probably because they have a weighted sandwich press (which I really need to buy), this assisted in ensuring that the fillings didn't fall out when lifted it to take a bite. Other than this, the fillings were a bit less than I am used to, notably with less kimchi but more stringy cheese. The kimchi they use wasn't too fermented nor was it too spicy. The bread was delicious and wholesome though, topped with a generous dusting of paprika for extra spice, I definitely need to add this to my own creations. The dipping sauce was mild and cooled down the light spiciness of the toastie. It was a bit small, but overall very well executed, I am very partial to the kimchi and cheese pairing and this was as good as I expected. Will definitely be back later to try out their other toasties with a batch brew.

Price Range: $15 - $25pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment