Tuesday 11 July 2023

Scugnizzi - Brisbane CBD


Readers who work in the city have undoubtedly recently seen the popularity of the new pizza and pasta joint, Szugnizzi. With owners heralding from Beccofino and Doughcraft, the bar was definitely set very high and I visited during their second week of operations. Situated along Adelaide St, it wasn't too busy before midday when we arrived, but that immediately changed the moment the clock struck 12, with a queue that snaked its way outside.


The menu was fairly concise with a selection of Pizzas, Pastas and sides, all of which are made fresh in house. There are discounts if you order a main, side and a drink. I would have given this more consideration, except that the drinks didn't have a price tag and I wasn't keen on holding up the already long line behind me.


For those who are pizza aficionados, you might notice that Scugnizzi serves Roman style pizza. Roman pizza is distinctive because it is usually rectangular and sold by the slice, it has a light crust that is less chewy, but thicker than Neapolitan pizza, and it is known for it's wide variety of toppings. 


Having recently made some pasta at home, I opted for the funghi pizza and an arancini ball to go. Although the pizza was freshly made, they reheat both items on order and that took a little while.


There was minimal seating inside, so we opted to sit in King George Square instead. My pizza definitely fit the description of Roman Pizza. The base was airy but thicker than usual and firmer rather than chewy. Maybe it's the social conditioning, but I think I prefer Neapolitan pizza bases more. Toppings were fairly generous but I would have preferred it if it went closer to the edge and if it had more truffle flavour to it. 


I enjoyed the arancini ball a lot more than the pizza, it was fresh and flavoursome with porcini bits in it and a light crumb. The rice inside was particularly tasty and had a wonderful texture to it with a creamy mushroom infused sauce. Next time, I'll definitely order this again.

Overall I had a good experience at Scugnizzi. There definitely appears to be a niche in the market for a pizza and pasta joint in Brisbane, which they have fit well into. Next time I go, I'll definitely try out their house made pasta.

Price Range: $20 - $30pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment