Tuesday 10 February 2015

Pho City - Brisbane CBD



A couple of weeks ago, several friends and made a really last minute decision to watch a movie after work. Without much of a plan (which is really unusual for me), we found ourselves wandering around foraging for food. As our quest lead us to Elizabeth Arcade, one friend suggested that we try Pho City, which had opened in the arcade not so long ago, taking the spot of what used to be Himawari.




Whilst the restaurant was half full, we were promptly seated and given menus. The service was quite friendly.


What I particularly liked about the menu, is that it was made of plastic. I find crumpled paper menus with water/tea stains on them quite unpleasant.




This was the dry vermicelli salad with spring rolls. My companion didnt really like it though. It was served with the usual fish sauce, which you mix in at the point of eating.


My other companion got the combination broken rice with pork chop. He found the pork chop to be a bit small for the rice and also to be a bit toasted. Other than that, the rice and other sides were quite average.





As usual, at a Vietnamese restaurant, I ordered Pho. To be honest, I found it rather disappointing compared to other Pho I've had. As you can see from the photo, the soup was very cloudy, for Pho, that definitely rings alarm bells for me. I found the beef wasn't very fresh which actually made it a relief that it was rather overdone as well. Other than that, the noodles were quite enjoyable, but the portion was rather small, like the pork chop rice.

I had quite high hopes for Pho City, and was rather disappointed at the outcome. It has potential and maybe it will improve with time.

Price Range: $10 - $15 per person

Taste: 4/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10 

Pho City on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment