Saturday 7 February 2015

Tasty - Sunnybank


Tasty is one of the restaurants situated on the outside perimeter of Sunny Park. I had been rather intrigued since I saw the sign go up last year. The signs and decor were really captivating and made me wonder what kind of food they would be able to offer. With all the other places I had been going to at the start of the year, I gradually forgot about it. 


One lazy Saturday morning, when deciding where to go to lunch, I suddenly remembered that I had forgotten this place, so off we went.

Having been quite lazy recently, I hadnt had much of a chance to scour the weekly Chinese newspapers for ads. Due to this, I was pleasantly surprised to see lunch specials at an exceptionally cheap price of $5.90.


Upon entering, we found the restaurant to be rather empty. The decor was simple, and had a definite wooden theme to it. We were promptly seated, and the waiter rather casually threw the menu at our table. I could see that there was no malice to this, but could see that it would easily have offended patrons (especially the elderly). We ordered three of the lunch specials.



Water and cutlery were obtained on a DIY basis, and the food came out super quickly. By super quickly, I mean in around 5 minutes, which is really exceptionally fast.


The first thing to come out was the Hainan Chicken Rice. There are several things to note about this, being firstly that it didnt come with soup, which was a slight disappointment, but understandable for the price. Secondly, although there was no soup, it also came out with Veges, which ususally isnt provided. It was also only served with one sauce (sweet chili), whereas the usual comes with two or three sauces. The chicken was done relatively well, but we found the highlight of the meal to be the rice, which was deliciously infused with a light chicken flavour. We really enjoyed it.



The Chicken Laksa came next. I note that whilst the Laksa we usually have is comprised of Hokkien Noodles as well as Vermicelli, this version only comprised of Vermicelli. In terms of the soup, it definitely tasted authentic, but had less of a coconut milk base, but more of a a water base. It was also noteworthy that rather than shredded chicken, it had actual chicken pieces (not unlike what was in the Hainan Chicken). Overall, it was different from the other Laksa that we have had in other places, nevertheless, it was quite delicious and we liked it.


I ordered the Roast Duck Noodle Soup. Whilst I found the noodles weren't springy enough, I found the soup to be very light, and particularly enjoyed the fried onions that it was garnished with. The amount of duck was generous for the price, and while it was not crispy, the duck had quite a bit of flavour.

I found the food at Tasty to be quite yummy and for the price it was extraordinarily good value, in this day and age, you could not get a decent meal for that kind of price anywhere else.


Price Range: $5 - $20 per person

Taste: 7/10
Value: 9.5/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 7.5/10


Tasty on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment