Tuesday 13 March 2018

La Macelleria - West End


After a wonderful meal at Original Dave's Meatballs and Beef Cheeks, Joe K and I decided to top it all off with a second round of desserts, this time at the secondary branch of the much acclaimed La Macelleria at West End. Having been to their Teneriffe store and thoroughly enjoyed myself, I was very glad to accept an invitation from Mr Meatballs to experience owner Matteo's hospitality. Being within one km away from our dinner, it made for a very quick drive, and parking was easy to come by.



The store was more or less the same size as the Tenerrife one, with similar signage. Gelato flavours were posted upon the wall, as they were stored in metal canisters and we weren't able to see them from a glance.



Other than flavours, other signs on the wall showed the variations of coffee available to be ordered, in addition to the size options for gelato.


Whilst we were there, we got to watch Owner Matteo as he showed off his new gelato machine to us. There was also a display cabinet which exhibited a selection of iced goodies for purchase.


What I always enjoy about invitations is the opportunity to get insider knowledge. Which is why I was so thrilled to get to try some of their in house roasted pistachio paste and hazlenut paste. Both were quite liquid in texture, and extremely strong in taste. Tasting both, I loved the rich creaminess of both purees which were smooth and luscious. Between the two, my favourite would have been the hazelnut, which reminded me of my beloved nutella without the sweetness.

 

Before making my decision, I also got to try some of the flavours. I tried the special Mimosa Cake gelato and Bo and Bo (mmmm nutella), both of which I enjoyed greatly. 


Upon coming to our decision, we were served by the wonderfully gracious Mikaela.
  
 

Both Meatballs and Joe's selections were appetising and well received (I forgot to take a pic of Ronnie's gelato).


I had a selection of four flavours, caffe, tiramisu, bo and bo and stracciatella in a medium cup. All flavours were remarkably smooth, and not overly sweet. I really appreciated the chocolatey tones in the tiramisu, which contrasted the strong coffee tastes in the caffe. The Bo and Bo was wonderfully smooth and topped with sweet nutella made for a treat that made my inner child very happy indeed, whilst the stracciatella gave the cup a bit of crunch with the dark chocolate chips.


Not wanting to miss the opportunity for after dinner coffee, I had a small cappuccino. It was very strong and picked me up after such a long day and rounded of an excellent experience.


Further to this meal, I also got a small tub to take home to my family, opting for rum and rasin, hazelnut and pistachio, these were also really well received. My parents really enjoyed the wonderfully luxurious texture and intense flavours if the gelato. Their favourite was also the pistachio, which I definitely snuck a few more bites of.

Espresso and Matcha were invited guests of La Macelleria, but as always, our opinions are solely our own.


Taste: 9/10
Value: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Environment: 9/10

La Macelleria Gelateria Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment