Thursday 28 October 2021

Mrs Luus - Brisbane CBD


It's been a long time coming but I finally had the opportunity to try out highly popular Vietnamese Banh Mi chain Mrs Luu's last week after a hearing at the Federal Court. I was pleased to see that there wasn't a huge line up and service was very fast.


As with most Vietnamese places which offer take away in the city, their menu focused on banh mi, rice bowls, noodle salads and rice paper rolls. Not content to settle on one option, I had two. I was pleased to see that my banh mi was made to order.


I would have liked to order each rice paper roll individually by flavour but they all came in two packs already packaged up. I had a chicken one to go with my three little piggies banh mi.


The banh mi was really good. I liked how the bread was crispy but not hard and soft but not completely without substance. It encased three different types of pork (Vietnamese porchetta, barbecue pork, and Vietnamese ham), each with their own textures and flavours. My favourite would have had to be the Vietnamese ham with its unique sweet flavours. These flavours complemented each other well. I only wish there was a bit more salad to go in my bread roll. Having said that though, I think the price is quite steep when compared to other places outside of the city.



Not wanting to get pork again, I had a serve of the chicken rice paper rolls. One serve comprised of two rolls and was accompanied by a generous bottle of hoi sin sauce for dipping. The skin was thin and fresh, also one of the most elastic I've seen in a long time, as I as able to pry the two of them apart without breaking it. Although it appears that there was a generous amount of meat filling, biting it in half proved otherwise. Having said that, there was in fact a generous amount of vermicelli noodles and lettuce in the rice paper roll, both were fresh and crisp. The chicken was a little bland though and had to be supplemented by dipping sauce. All round not a band place for lunch, but doesn't particularly stand out among the other nearby options.

Price Range: $15 - $20pp

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 7.5/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment