Monday 28 February 2022

Fish Cafe - New Farm


Some people are unmotivated to go out when it's rainy outside but for me, I tend to stick to my plans despite what the weather throws at me, which is why we found ourselves at Fish Cafe last week for a catch up with some friends over Taiwanese Food. You may wonder why there would be Taiwanese food at a fish and chips shop, but every weekend Joe's Taiwanese Cuisine runs a pop up to serve some wholesome Taiwanese food to the locals (apparently Brisbane has one of the highest number of Taiwanese outside of Taiwan).


The menu was short but it comprised mostly of extremely nostalgic street food that I missed dearly since my last trip in addition to some noodle and rice dishes. We ordered at the counter. 


Normally I don't get Milk Tea to go with our meals but when eating Taiwanese food it's hard to create a whole experience without it. Hence we had two packets of milk tea, they were quite sweet but also very fragrant.

 

We had a pork mince rice as well as a pork intestine vermicelli. The rice was short grain and smooth to the palate. The mince was moist but not greasy with deep umami flavours of dark soy. The mince to rice ratio was good. My favourite of the meal was definitely the pork intestine vermicelli though. Thick and viscous, individual strands of tender vermicelli was suspended in the soup which had chunks of chewy pork intestines scattered throughout. It was wholesome and delicious, especially on a rainy day.


I don't usually go for the oyster omelette, but it is a signature dish so we ordered it. Most of you would be familiar with dry crispy omelettes but this was extremely wet with a stickly gelatinous texture from the added tapioca flour and topped with a slightly vinegar-ed ketchup sauce. It was basically a slimy hot mess of egg, oyster and veggies. Definitely an acquired taste but I did really enjoy this dish.


Our last dish was the deep fried chicken fillet. One serve comprised of two huge fillets and I found this to be amazing value. Coated in crunchy potato starch, it was like eating chicken with fries outside. The only thing that could really have made this any better would have been the addition of powdered flavours. Other than that it was executed wonderfully, crispy and fresh without being greasy and definitely made me super nostalgic for my trips to Taipei. Would definitely come back here again.

Price Range: $15 - $20pp

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 9/10 
Service: 7/10
Environment: 6/10
 

No comments:

Post a Comment