Sunday 2 January 2022

Xing Fu Tang - Brisbane CBD


For those who frequent the city often, you would not have failed to notice the constant line up on Elizabeth Street. There is hardly anything else that could warrant such a line up other than the opening of yet another bubble tea store. This time, Taiwan's number one Xing Fu Tang, which has been popular around the world for their famous brown sugar bubble tea has finally arrived in Brisbane, deciding to throw itself among the already saturated strip near Hype Tea, Gong Cha and Ying Cha. Always keen to try it out, I lined up.


There really wasn't too many options on the menu and drinks were quite pricey with only a single size and variants between hot and cold. The focus was clearly on boba with a small selection of yoghurt.


What really stands out for me was not actually the tea, but the addition of the fortune cabinet for you to draw your fortune when you get your number after ordering. It's novel and great fun. I had a blast with this, even though mine told me to eat more veggies!

 

The fresh boba that they make on site and also cook in brown sugar syrup on on display was also a nice attraction too.

 

In order to have an accurate review (for science), I went twice. First time I had the Oolong tea, I could adjust the sugar level but not the ice. The tea itself was crisp, strong and refreshing but there was little over two mouthfuls of tea given the ice accounted for about three quarters of the volume of the cup, so whilst it was definitely tasty, it was extremely bad value. The second time, I had the Strawberry Boba Milk. Neither ice nor sugar was adjustable, but I absolutely had to try the freshly made boba. Turns out that it was soft and clumpy, so much that it had no firmness to it and tasted more or less just like mochi. The drink itself was fragrant but a little too sweet for my linking and there was also far too much ice and not enough drink. I can't say that I won't be back, because I like the fortune telling a lot, but there is definitely better bubble tea very close by.

Price Range: $5 - $15pp

Taste: 8/10
Value: 4/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment