Friday 17 October 2014

Golden BBQ - Fortitude Valley

On a lazy Friday afternoon, a few colleagues and I decided we wanted to go get lunch somewhere. A regular place we frequent is Golden BBQ, so off we headed. Golden BBQ is situated on Wickham Street, in China Town. It's been there as long as I can remember, which goes to show how long it's managed to stay around for. It also apparently holds a reputation within the Asian circles as to having the best roasted pork in Brisbane ~(^ะท^)-♡. 




Upon entering, you can see the prices for takeaway bbq are listed on the wall. Apparently they are slightly higher than the norm that you would find in Sunnybank, however difference in quality is definitely worth that little bit more.


We arrived at 12.30, and they were already almost sold out!


The environment and seating provided are very basic, but Golden BBQ tends to go for efficiency and speed rather than ambiance. Whilst it was very busy today, and we had to wait outside for a vacancy, what I found particularly impressive was that the owner took initiative to take our orders whilst we were waiting outside, and food was promptly served as soon as we sat down. A point to note though, is that water is on a self serve basis.


A complementary soup is provided for all rice and dry noodles ordered. Today's soup was a Chinese Vegetable soup, with leafy greens. It was a refreshing start to what would be a very meaty meal.

This is the Roast Duck Rice. The portion of duck provided was very generous, and I hear that the texture of the rice, and the sauce was nice.


What I found particularly impressive about this BBQ pork rice, was the lack of fat. As a (mildly) health conscious individual, when I see a strip of fat on my meat, I make some effort to avoid eating it. My usual experience with BBQ pork is that it has a section of fat on it. I really liked how the BBQ pork at Golden BBQ didnt have that there.



This is the two combination with dried noodle, the two choices being Roast Duck and Roast Pork. The servings were very generous. 




Being a die hard fan of noodles and soup, I got a Roast Pork with noodles and soup. The noodles were a nice springy texture, not over or under cooked. I really like how they took the initiative to separate the roast pork from the soup. Some of the other restaurants that I have been to do not recognise that by putting crispy foods into soup make it soggy and less appealing, so I highly commend Golden BBQ for being able to do this without being asked to. The amount of pork provided probably is double what you'd expect to get in other places. The skin was very crispy, and the meat was tender and nicely seasoned.


Special mention also goes to their famous chili sauce, which is super super spicy.

Overall, I'd say I really enjoy going to Golden BBQ, it offers a generous portion of food, at a consistent standard for a good price. 

Price Range: $10-$15 per person

Taste: 8/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 4/10

Golden Barbeque on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment