Monday 27 October 2014

Hanwoori Korean BBQ - Brisbane CBD




With my spring being cut abruptly short by summer, I realised that I hadn't completely had my fix of Korean BBQ before the heat absolutely sets in. Ergo, mad rush to Hanwoori for dinner after work.






Hanwoori, and its neighbour Shabu House, are situated upstairs of 70 Mary Street. The setting is quite elegant, and beautiful. While the restaurant was rather large, I was quite surprised that it was almost at capacity for a Monday night! Lucky I booked earlier.



Upon being seated, our waiter explained to us that it operated on a self serve basis, where we gather food and grill it on our table. 


They have a range of cooked foods, for those who need more variety than just meat.


There is also a large selection of seafoods, meats and marinated meats to grill on your tabletop.




Some of the already pre cooked foods on offer include spring rolls, beef stew, fried pork, spicy chicken, chicken wings kim chi, etc. I found the beef stew to be very nice and comforting. The Kim Chi was also very authentic.


Being a Korean store, I had expected something like Miso Soup, or perhaps Chicken and Ginseng Soup. What they had tonight was actually piping hot creamy pumpkin soup. I was very surprised indeed.


Additionally, salads were also on a DIY basis. I like this a lot more than ordering a salad and having to pick out pieces that I dont like.



Usually, when you go to a Korean BBQ, the beef they offer is usually merely marinated beef slices. This was definitely not the case at Hanwoori. We had slabs of steak!

We also had marinated pork chops, beef ribs.



Prawns... Octopus... Calamari...













Sauces were also on a DIY basis, for the meats that weren't already marinated. This is my personal mixture of bbq sauce, sesame oil and garlic.



For those who aren't so keen on meats, they also have bbq vegetables such as pumpkin and zucchini.

While I enjoyed my time at Hanwoori, I think there could have been a larger variety of options, like Shabu House next door, and I would also have liked it more if the meats were more marinated, rather than having to rely on sauces after cooking. Other than that, I was definitely impressed with the quality of meat offered. Service was also good, with the waiters smiling a lot and being very friendly.

Price Range: $30 per person

Taste: 7/10
Value: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 8/10


Hanwoori on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment