Thursday 9 October 2014

Red Hook - Brisbane CBD

Since I accidentally stumbled upon Gresham Lane months ago, it has been a long term goal of mine to go to all the eateries there 〆(・∀・@). So when my burger connoisseur friend suggested that we attend Red Hook, the new American eatery at Gresham Lane for dinner I vehemently agreed.



Red Hook is situated in Gresham Lane, near the Queen Street side, next to the Gresham Bar. It comprises of a simple kitchen, bar and counter, with outdoor seating.



There were not many seats at all. Luckily we did not have to wait.



The menu is quite brief, covering all available food and drink items in two pages. For a moment we were confused when we saw "Fresh LLB (Legum Baccalaureus)" on the menu, to be later corrected that it was actually short for Lemon and Lime Bitters haha \(o ̄∇ ̄o)/.




There were many American condiments provided on the table, including Ketchup, Mustard and Hot Sauce, along with some very sharp knives.


I had read quite a few reviews before coming here, and understood that some people had  waited quite a while for their food to come out. In the meantime, we played a dangerous game with the sharp knives to pass the time.

Luckily, the food arrived promptly, and everyone's' fingers were still intact for us to consume our food (」゜ロ゜)」  



Between the three of us, we ordered three burgers, and three different sides. The burgers came wrapped, which was quite different compared to the other (non fast food) burger joints we had previously frequented.


This is the Brooklyn Cheeseburger, with a white sesame bun, beef patty, cheese and other things. My burger connoisseur buddy specifically mentioned how much he thoroughly enjoyed the sauce in the burger, but commented that the bun could be a bit softer.


This is the Grandmaster Flash, which I ate. The bun seemed to be toasted wholemeal, which made it really hard and coarse, whilst I am a firm advocate for a soft white bun. Upon first bite, I could see why my burger connoisseur buddy was so keen on the sauce! It was very tangy and creamy at the same time. The beef patty was nice and juicy, not oily, but a bit small for the bun. 




In terms of sides, we ordered champion fries, mac n cheese squares as well as the iconic buffalo wings. The fries were shoestring cut, my absolute favourite. Looking at the photo, it looks no different from the offerings at Mcdonalds, however it was actually flavored with salt and vinegar, making them substantially different, and really very yummy!



The Mac n Cheese squares were really quite toasted, and I was quite concerned that they would be overly dry. In actual fact, it was very cheesy, and luckily not too salty. I thoroughly enjoyed it.


Side serves of Mayonnaise and BBQ sauce. 





The last side to arrive was the buffalo wings. Now I have never had buffalo wings before, so I am unsure what to rate them on. What I can say is that it wasnt deep fried as I had previously expected, it was grilled, juicy, spicy and was strongly flavoured. I liked it.


Overall, we found the burgers at Red Hook rather average, but we really enjoyed the sides very much. The service was friendly, and I really liked the alleyway culture sweeping over Brisbane. It may be worth going back to try the other options on the menu.


Price Range: $10 - $20 per person

Taste: 6/10
Value: 5/10
Service: 5/10
Environment: 7/10

Red Hook on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment