Saturday 21 March 2015

Cheung's Cakes - Fortitude Valley


Growing up in Brisbane, there definitely wasnt as much choice in Asian food. One of my fondest memories during primary school was my mother buying me bread from Cheung's Cakes in the valley when she went grocery shopping, and giving it to me as an afternoon snack after school. This was all before the uprising of Sunnybank, and Bread Top. You could imagine the fond memories that washed over me when I passed by the other day, and saw it exactly the same as it was over fifteen years ago. With my father's birthday coming up, it was the prefect occasion to order a cake. 


For $15 I purchased a small fruit cake. It looks quite homey and far less commercial compared to those you can purchase at bread top or at the bakeries in Sunnybank, but I found it very familiar and comforting. I was also very impressed with the strong fruity flavours that waffled out of the box the moment I lifted the lid. 



As for the cake itself, I absolutely loved it. I found the texture to be far smoother but lighter than the other asian cakes I've had, and the Cake:Cream:Fruit ratio to be near perfect. The fruit was really fresh and sweet. Its noteworthy that the owner didnt sell me the mango cake because they were not certain they would get ripe sweet mangoes, I found this to be very ethical and refreshing in a commercial context. 

As a reference for my readers, during my chats with the owners, I learned that Cheungs is relocating to McWhirters from the train station at the end of March. I will definitely be purchasing all my birthday cakes from there from now onwards.


Price Range: $15 - $30 for a cake. $2 - $4 for breads

Taste: 8.5/10
Value: 8.5/10
Service: 7/10 (was friendly, but nothing special)
Environment: 5/10 (in a dodgy part of the railway station in the valley)



Cheungs Cakes & Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment