Thursday 26 March 2015

La Dolce Vita - Milton


One Thursday evening, a friend and I had decided to go to dinner somewhere nice so that I could probe deeper into his tormented, psychotic state of mind in hope to shine light upon it. We decided that La Dolce Vita in Milton would be the perfect place to do that. 


We arrived at 6.30 and were seated quite promptly. I note that it didnt really get busy until after 7.  As usual, my first preference was to get a table inside, in hope that there would be air conditioning on such a hot day. Unfortunately, it was very very weak. We ended up swapping tables and eating outside in hope that there was better ventilation.


The decor was nice, and the place had a really European ambiance to it. 


The menu was quite consise, comprising of two sides, offering mains, and pizza and pasta. 


Iced water came pretty quickly after that, and service was friendly and attentive. 


Cutlery also came after ordering. Between the two of us, we ordered two pastas to share, and a side.


First to arrive was the Fettuccine Con Polpette, which was basically Italian Meatballs served with fettuccine. The portion looks small in the photo, but it was actually quite large when it came to us having to eat it. The meatballs were huge compared to the ones I'm used to, and the sauce was really strong. I found the pasta to be cooked softer than Vapiano and Jamies Italian, but I am also rather impartial to softer pasta, so I enjoyed it. I would have liked it a whole lot better if they had some cheese on the top though.



Our Spaghetti Alla Marinara came next. It came with half a Moreton Bay bug, three mussels, several prawns and some calamari and some octopus. I found the pasta to be cooked nicely as above, and the portion of seafood provided to be very generous. Overall, we found the seafood to be slightly overcooked, but nonetheless tasty. The Moreton Bay Bug had a good texture to it, and I was blown away by the tenderness of the calamari and the freshness of the prawn, but I found the sauce to be very overpowering. Again, I would have liked it more if it had cheese on top.


Our 'Fries' came last. Speaking directly, I was quite disappointed, because to my understanding, fries are long and skinny, whereas chips are short and thick (Mcdonalds sells fries, KFC sells chips). By this definition, we were definitely provided with chips, when we ordered fries. If I had known they were chips, I would have ordered the Garlic Bread instead actually. The chips themselves were hot and crispy, which was good, but it would have been a bit better with more seasoning I think.


Whilst the meal wasnt exceptional at La Dolce Vita, we will always still go for the ambiance and the view at night definitely makes it worth the visit.

Price Range: $20 - $35 per person

Taste: 6.5/10
Value: 7.5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Environment: 9/10 (would be higher if they had indoors with aircon)

La Dolce Vita Ristorante on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment