Wednesday 11 March 2015

The German Club (Zum Kaiser) - East Brisbane


Last week, as I was perusing a variety of food blogs, it occurred to me that I had never really tried German Food. After researching several places, it seemed that locally speaking, the German Club offered the most authentic dining experience, so that is where we decided to go.



After a slight confusion at the door (I had never been to a club before, and was surprised when the person at the door was asking me what club I came from), we went in. We ordered food at the counter, and found a seat.


The first thing to come out was the Kassler, which was a smoked loin chop served with Sauerkraut and baked potato. I found it to be like a very very thick cut of bacon. It was rather dry from the baking, but the sauce made up for quite a bit of that. The potatoes were quite delectable with the nice assortment of herbs, and whilst I expected the sauerkraut to be very strong tasting, it was quite mild and palatable.


Next came the Bratwurst. It was served on a bed of soft mashed potato, which we found quite delightful, as well as a generous portion of the abovementioned sauerkraut. I really liked the texture of the bratwurst. To be honest, I am more of a fan of soft sausages rather than hard ones, and the Bratwurst did meet my expectations. 



Next to arrive was the crispy pork belly. We sat there wondering if we could finish it all when it arrived. In terms of the skin, I found it to be a bit more harder than it was crispy. It was served with red cabbage, which I found to be stronger tasting than the Sauerkraut. Whilst I didnt like it too much, my companions really enjoyed it. The potatoes were the same as above, garnished with the tasty herbs.

The main event was the last to arrive. The Pork Knuckle was HUGE. It was enough meat for all four of us. Again, like the pork belly, the skin was quite tough and hard, but could be crispier.



We found the meat to be very tender, and it fell off the bone quite easily. I was particularly impressed by the chef's ability to ensure that even such a thick piece of meat was able to be marinated deep into the flesh. The sauerkraut and potato were the same as above. By that stage, we were a bit overloaded with sauerkraut and potato. to be honest, but we still loved the pork knuckle.
I found my trip to the German Club to be an interesting and insightful experience, I was able to learn and appreciate German Food. The portions were extremely generous for the price (it goes without saying that we didnt need to eat dinner that night).

Price Range: $20 - $30 per person

Taste: 7.5/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 6/10
Environment: 7.5/10



Zum Kaiser on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment