Friday 13 March 2015

Doughnut Time - Fortitude Valley


Several weeks ago, a super big fan of doughnuts from work mentioned that there was a new place in the valley that sold doughnuts, and that there was quite a hype on social media about it. To be honest, I did not take much note of it at the time, but after seeing it online, I made the call to go as soon as possible. 

Living on the Southside means that I usually hang around Sunnybank and more recently Runcorn rather than Fortitude Valley. Even getting to Alfred Street was quite an issue for me (at one stage I ended up at New Fam...). Anyway, a good 45 minutes into my 1 hour lunch break, I found myself at Alfred Street.


There was a small crowd outside the store at midday on Friday. I shudder to think how long it would be during non working hours.


It is situated in the little gap between Kwan Brothers and Alfredo's Pizzeria (two places which I have wanted to go for a very long time)


There is quite a simple menu stuck to the wall. All the doughnuts sell for $6, which I note are double the cost of the most expensive Krispy Kremes. When I mentioned this to some of my associates, they were quite curious that anyone would spend the cost of a lunch on a doughnut. Anyway, this had me intrigued, so I convinced Doughnut Fanatic to share a mixed box of 6 with me. Luckily for us, I had phoned ahead of time so whilst some of the other people in the queue were unable to get some of the flavours as they had sold out, we had gotten almost all that we had asked for.


It was packed in a regular six pack box like Krispy Kreme. I note the lack of a bag which would have greatly assisted my carrying it all the way back to the CBD.


Between the two of us, we ordered the following:
            • Love at first bite (Nutella filled)
            • Plant the Seed (Raspberry)
            • Original Glazed
            • Butternut (Pistachio we think)
            • Salted Caramel
            • Oreo



Here's a shot of my favourite one, love at first bite. In terms of the doughnuts, I found them to be very distinctive from Krispy Kremes. The general consensus between the people we shared it with was that the texture was very 'bread-y' rather than 'doughnut-y'. The frosting on top was very generous, and had a large variety of flavours, but I found it to be a bit too sweet. Its worth noting that it was not as oily and fried as Krispy Kreme, but in my opinion, my preferred doughnut is still Mister Donut (from Japan). In comparison to Krispy Kreme, my associate the Doughnut Fanatic considered the Doughnuts at Doughnut time to be better, though I personally consider them to be on par with each other. 

Price Range: $6 per doughnut

Taste: 7/10
Value: 6/10
Service: 7/10 (the guy who took my order on the phone was very nice)
Environment: 4/10 (not even seating provided...)


Doughnut Time on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment