Thursday 25 June 2015

Goong - Sunnybank Hills



Having gone to Oishii on many many occasions, I've always been curious about the Korean BBQ above it. With it being winter, I finally withstood the temptation of just getting sushi, and headed upstairs to try out Goong.



The sign downstairs set out the buffet menu, as well as the prices. The base price was $28pp, with options of paying extra for drinks or beers.




We were seated quite promptly, and we were the first to arrive (as it was a Monday night). I expected Goong to be like the other Korean BBQs which I've frequented to have a self serve meat cabinet, but in fact it was different. The waitress asks you what you want and refills the meat for you in the kitchen. Not knowing what was good, she offered to get us some of everything to start off, which we happily obliged.


The first plate that came out consisted of all the non spicy marinated meats. I was impressed that the meats were generally not overly fatty. Of the meats, I enjoyed the Bulgogi the best. I liked how the thinly sliced beef absorbed the marinate well, and how the flavours were infused into the meat. My companion though, said he enjoyed the meaty texture of the beef ribs. 


In terms of spicy foods, we had some spicy calamari and spicy octopus. I found that the strong spice of the marinate tended to overpower any freshness that the seafood would have had though.


Our final meat platter was some not marinated meat, including shaved pork, pork belly and ox tongue. The pork belly was very fatty, as expected, so I definitely appreciated the shaved pork a lot more, especially how it came out rather crispy when cooked.


They also had some prawns, which we found became a bit too dry when barbecued. 


We were also provided with rice and a salad which could also be refilled upon request.


There were also 4 types of sides provided, spicy kimchi, spicy cucumber, marinated sprouts and potato salad. I found the potato salad to be quite bland though.


Here are some gratuitous shots of our barbecue.








For what its worth, I enjoyed my dinner at Goong. I found it to be a very good deal for the price, and the service was efficient and friendly. I still dont think its as good as Midam, down the road, but it was definitely a good meal.

Price Range: $28 - $32 per person

Taste: 7/10
Value: 8/10
Service: 8/10
Environment: 6/10  (lack of ventilation means my eyes stung quite a bit with the burning charcoal)

Click to add a blog post for Goong Charcoal BBQ Korean Restaurant on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment