Saturday 15 August 2015

Lefkas Taverna - West End


One night after work, we decided for a bit of a change. Seeking something new and refreshing, we opted for Greek food at Lefkas Taverna at West End.


We booked a table early on, and were very thankful that we did, because the restaurant filled up very quickly after we arrived at 6. I really enjoyed the theme and decor of the restaurant, particularly the pots hanging from the ceiling gave it a very authentic touch.


The menu consisted of quite a large variety of traditional Greek foods, some of which I have a slight understanding of, and some that were quite foreign to me. Nevertheless, we opted for dishes we were more familiar with.

Due to the amount of people there that evening, we had a bit of difficulty flagging down a waiter to place our order.


After a short while, our dishes came out. It was quite a spread for the two of us to share.


The lamb yiros was quite impressive, having recently gone to Zeus at Southbank, it offered a good comparison. For those who are familiar with me, you would know that in most situations where other types of meat are available, I tend to avoid lamb due to its strong gamey smell. As always, there are exceptions to the rule, and for Greek food, my meat of choice is usually lamb, because the flavours are so intense, it always covers up any gamey meat smells of the meat. In this instance, the lamb yiros was quite delicious. I was very impressed by the amount of lamb provided. It was very well marinated and grilled. Although you can't see it, there was ample amount of salad underneath the meat which gave it needed balance of freshness. The pita bread was soft and puffy as well, which made it quite delicious dish all round.


The other main that we shared was the Grilled Quail, which was served with salad. Having only really eaten quails at Chinese restaurants as an entree, I was skeptical at whether or not the portion would be ample enough to suffice for a full main course. This was diffused when it was presented though. With two whole quails, and a substantial portion of salad, it was quite an ample main. 
The quail was nicely grilled, and infused with a strong lemon-y tang. This meant that the dish was still quite balanced in taste, despite the significant amounts of oils which were used in cooking (the bottom of the plate was completely covered in oil by the time we had finished it). 
Being the barbarian that I am, I was also not used to eating quail with cutlery, thankfully my companion was able to debone it for me with apparent ease, as you see in the picture to the left. The meat was tender and definitely not overdone. Served with the feta and salad, it was a very strong flavoured dish, but I enjoyed it immensely.

As a side, we ordered the Lemon Potatoes. Having tried them at Little Greek Taverna, I was definitely keen on having them again. I found the potatoes at Lefkas to also be very strongly seasoned with lemon and the herbs added a nice touch to it, which makes a refreshing change from the usual mash or chips as a side. The portion was generous and my companion and I enjoyed it thoroughly.


Price Range: $20 - $30 per person

Taste: 8/10
Value: 7.5/10
Service: 7/10
Environment: 7/10


Click to add a blog post for Lefkas Taverna on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment